Fly Tying
Permitcapt

MUSTAD hook fails, big tarpon lost.

Fishing alone today in my Maverick HPX in Apalachicola, as I often do, I experienced a seldom used excuse for not landing a big tarpon. The Mustad C68S SS Tarpon 2x Heavy / 2X Short hook broke directly behind the barb, after I finally subdued the huge cow next to the boat. I had my landing gloves and camera out. The leader was inside the guides 4 times. She was very long and heavy, and I put a supreme amount of pressure on her for exactly 1hr and 30min. I can usually land a big tarpon on fly in 22 minutes, but she proved to be a most formidable adversary.

Since I fish alone, I had to control the trolling motor and ballet dance around the various rails I have customized on my poling platform and bow, throughout the battle. In the beginning I had to start-up the Yamaha to get back some backing as she was burning it off at a frightening rate. It is difficult to handle a brute and the boat by ones-self, but I have a lot of experience doing it, and I had 10 years experience as a fly fishing guide in Key West before retiring here. Often I intentionally break them off after some good jumps, but this gal didn't jump much, and she did not make any spectacular leaps. That is most likely why she was so strong for so long. I decided early on that I wanted to boat her.

Back to the hook. It was a new fly, never used, and packaged in a plastic sleeve that I put all my tarpon flies in. As it is billed as a Tarpon hook, and 2x Heavy, there is no excuse for it failing. I doubt that I will tie anymore tarpon flies on them, as my confidence is shattered. I guess I'll have to tie a bunch of redfish flies so that I can use-up my inventory.

post-55273-0-35431600-1467831260_thumb.jpg

Hey I'll take those hooks ;)

Nextttt time you should invite me and we'll catch 400lb tarpon;)

Too bad that hook broke, I know how it feels when something expensive breaks on you

After 90 minutes of runs and returns, I am not surprised the hook failed.

Sorry for a lack of sympathy on this, but as you've said, you CAN land a Tarpon in 22 minutes. Instead, you decided to let this one tire itself for 4 times that.

Losing a fish is part of fishing.

Saying ALL the hooks are bad because one broke after such an "epic" battle ... that's like saying ALL children are bad because of a few examples at Walmart.

On second thought, that is EXACTLY how I feel about children, so you could be correct about those hooks.

If you guided in Key West... I'll bet that's not the first hook that's failed on you.... We've broken 2x, 4x, hooks occasionally (and in almost every brand....) in the places we fish in south Florida. Hook making (particularly heavy hook making) is as much art as science... starting with a given wire size, then formed into shape - that piece of wire has to have a barb cut into it, then get sharpened - then get heat tempered... At any point in the process you can end up with an occasional brittle hook (or an entire box of them - another of those "ask me how I know moments).

The other variable in the equation when hooks are involved is the size (strength) of the leader involved... Hooks that will never fail with a 15lb tippet will break all day long with a 30lb tippet so every angler has to remember that you not only match your hook to your target -but you have to match your hook to your gear - and this is particularly true when you're going to be pulling right to the bitter edge of your line's capability.

By the way - here in Florida you're no longer allowed to boat a big tarpon at all.... and I've been roundly criticized for boating small ones for my anglers after posting a pic or two as part of a fishing report....

Could it be = what does it say on some of the packets? Made with Norwegian tecnology in our Chinese factory!?! You figure it out?

After 90 minutes of runs and returns, I am not surprised the hook failed.

Sorry for a lack of sympathy on this, but as you've said, you CAN land a Tarpon in 22 minutes. Instead, you decided to let this one tire itself for 4 times that.

Losing a fish is part of fishing.

Saying ALL the hooks are bad because one broke after such an "epic" battle ... that's like saying ALL children are bad because of a few examples at Walmart.

On second thought, that is EXACTLY how I feel about children, so you could be correct about those hooks.

No Mike, I did not "decide" to let this one tire itself 4x that. I couldn't land the beast! And, I did not say all those hooks are bad, you did. I said I lost my confidence. And I am not looking for sympathy. I'll bet 99% of the people that read this wish they were attached to a monster tarpon yesterday. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If you guided in Key West... I'll bet that's not the first hook that's failed on you.... We've broken 2x, 4x, hooks occasionally (and in almost every brand....) in the places we fish in south Florida. Hook making (particularly heavy hook making) is as much art as science... starting with a given wire size, then formed into shape - that piece of wire has to have a barb cut into it, then get sharpened - then get heat tempered... At any point in the process you can end up with an occasional brittle hook (or an entire box of them - another of those "ask me how I know moments).

The other variable in the equation when hooks are involved is the size (strength) of the leader involved... Hooks that will never fail with a 15lb tippet will break all day long with a 30lb tippet so every angler has to remember that you not only match your hook to your target -but you have to match your hook to your gear - and this is particularly true when you're going to be pulling right to the bitter edge of your line's capability.

By the way - here in Florida you're no longer allowed to boat a big tarpon at all.... and I've been roundly criticized for boating small ones for my anglers after posting a pic or two as part of a fishing report....

Yes Uncle Bob, I know we are not allowed to "boat" a poon anymore in Florida. Just a euphemism.

Hey I'll take those hooks ;)

Nextttt time you should invite me and we'll catch 400lb tarpon;)

Too bad that hook broke, I know how it feels when something expensive breaks on you

Where do you live/fish? You need to go where bonefish live to catch one. Wind knots are created when the arc of your casting stroke becomes concave, instead of convex. Usually it is from powering your stroke early in the forward cast. The cast should be a movement of constant acceleration with a sudden stop. You are most likely powering up then slowing down before coming to a stop. That causes the classic windknot.

Could it be = what does it say on some of the packets? Made with Norwegian tecnology in our Chinese factory!?! You figure it out?

Well said Adam!