Fly Tying
fshng2

Foam Baitfish with Gills

Foam Baitfish with Gills

Body Shape: 3/16 industrial foam

gills and baitfish profile are cut with a laser to match the hook

Hook: EC 253 4/0

I have never been very good or fast at cutting these out but having a laser cut the shape makes short work of tying these up.

Just need to put resin on, turn it and I can call it done.

wXgC56n.jpg

iiooBO8.jpg

Nice job!

Ive seen someone else doing that but havent attempted it yet myself.

Did you melt that cut with something hot?

Looks like.

Looks good.

I am sure fishermen everywhere will love it. Not sure if it'll attract more fish, though! wink.png

How did you get the red down into the gill without leaving traces on the outside?

Thanks.

Good eye Mike...yes I did. The gills and baitfish profile were cut with a laser (added laser to revise original post)

I have never been very good at cutting these out but having a laser cut the shape makes short work of tying these up.

I plan to give it a coat of UV resin, let it soak in the sun for a bit for a full cure, and see how it swims tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Mike funny you should ask. The first few attempts ended in failure with red everywhere.

First, it's much easier to apply red marker while the shape is in the flat form vs on the hook.

The gill slit penetrates the foam about 1/2 way thru which is deep enough to allow the slit to be stretched.

By bending in front of, and behind the gill area opens the gill enough to color it with marker.

I had two small spots that went outside the lines on this one and were easily removed with a slightly alcohol dampened tissue.

I'm sure with more practice I should be able to color inside the lines just like all the other kids.

Nice Crease fly Variation. I've seen them with the gills painted on, but don't use them myself on Crease flies. I had one question, but you answered that. I was wondering if the cuts went all the way through the foam. If they did I figured they would weaken the fly, not something you would want if you're chasing bluefish. Why the short hook? Normally I tie mine on long shank hooks or more recently, on articulated shanks. Do you think that the overhanging epoxied tail would interfere with the hook up?

Good questions and info from everyone so far...keep em coming ...exactly what I was looking for.

Philly thanks. I was concerned about the slits too but I figured they would be covered and strengthened with the top coat.

If a blue plans on destroying a foam fly there's not much I can do to stop em.

The 1X short hook was chosen for better buoyancy, and it's reputation for being a strong saltwater hook.

Time will tell If the tail length becomes an issue. In this case either a tail mod or hook change or both will be needed.

Suitable hooks might be Gami SP11-3L3H , or VMC 7250 what are you using?

Do you use the shanks for length or to articulate a separate head and tail section?

Flytire I saw Dron's fly before and it's nothing short of genius.