Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
David 82nd

Blending dubbing / conover Fly

Hey guys , just did search here , but still have a question , hoping somebody chimes in before I ruin a blender or coffee grinder , I'm trying to blend two colors of dubbing to tie the " conover " a Catskills dry flie

It says in recipe to combine two colors, then add muskrat, minus guard hairs.....I'm concerned about the dubbing twisting around the prop of coffee grinder ? Anybody do this often ?

It's a very common method of blending dubbing

Get yourself a dedicated coffee grinder solely for your tying room

Or just hand blend the dubbing

Or use the plastic bag and compressed air can method

mega dubbing blender

Or a glass jar with a lid .... fill about half way with water, add "ingredients" and shake to blend. Strain out and dry.

But for small amounts, I'd go with flytire's second option, and just pull and mix the dubbings by hand.

If you limit or cut the fibers down to 1/2" to 3/4" or so, it shouldn't wrap around the blade.

Hey guys , just did search here , but still have a question , hoping somebody chimes in before I ruin a blender or coffee grinder , I'm trying to blend two colors of dubbing to tie the " conover " a Catskills dry flie

It says in recipe to combine two colors, then add muskrat, minus guard hairs.....I'm concerned about the dubbing twisting around the prop of coffee grinder ? Anybody do this often ?

Just did this mix a couple of weeks ago in the blender. Cut the red wool up in very small pcs and added the muskrat and some natural beige seige. Came out great pulsing the blender rather than just leaving it on. Tried to hand mix prior to the blender and the results were inferior to the blender.