Fly Tying
vicrider

January swap club

A couple of people have let me know they're about ready to send for this month's tie. I hope everyone finds an interesting new first time tie to add to their box. Maybe something that stretches yourself a bit. I'm very honest in that I haven't found just what I want yet but I don't have to mail to meet any deadlines.laugh.png

On the deadline bit. Especially for this month coming off the holidays let's not worry about it too much. Seems like the 21st of the month comes rather quickly, way too quickly as you get older, so let's just shoot for a mailing close to that soft deadline and in turn I'll try to get them turned around and on their way as quickly as possible so everyone can get the month's fly in that month if possible.

Nick Szabo

PO Box 361

Cheyenne OK 73628

For some odd reason, i have never tied a baitfish, so I think I will attempt one of those. I have some Congo Hair from FTD that I will use.

Of all the flies out there I've never tied a stimulator, mostly because there are not any major stonefly populations where I do most of my fishing, I can count on one hand all the times I've seen adult stoneflies. But I should have them in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully they make it over there by the 21st.

Uh Oh guys. I was thinking the 25th. My bad. I have spent the evening getting them tied and, hopefully, I can get someone in my family to take them to the PO tomorrow since it closes at Noon & I've got to go in the opposite direction. Hopefully they won't be too late.

BB

Vicrider, I just got them in the mail this morning (Friday). Decided to learn the Cricada Trude pattern for January. This is a Denny Breer pattern that he originally designed while guiding on the Green. it also works for trout on other large rivers. As the name implies, It resembles both a cricket and a cicada, tied with a trude style wing. Tied it on a on a #8 hook.

Looking forward to seeing all of the new patterns the rest of the club learned too. -Dorado

Nobody get excited. I already said above that this month following holidays, travel, overeating and sleeping in recliner, family and friends, everyone's a little slow right now.

Looking forward to seeing some of the ties mentioned. Cicada Trude? Interesting. There's an SBS in one of the many online mags that has a tie where you get the big puffy tail section and how easy it is to do. Not for this month but definitely when it fits in future swaps.

I'm tying a different to me emerger that should work in March Brown waters. Tying on a size 18 Klinkhammer hook, and if you know Klink's you know that is closer to a size 14 in other hooks. Parachute style with butt hanging low in film.

Mine are in the mail. I tied a GFA Hopper. It's sorta-kinda like the Predator but it's sorta-kinda not like it, too. It uses foam, krystal flash underwing, deer hair overwing & it doesn't use the mono eyes. If anyone wants to, it is suggested that you can draw in some eyes with a black Sharpie.

Take care

BB

Vicrider, thanks for the extra time (Relatives in town staying with us for awhile through the holidays)..I will mail them out on Wed. am. Decided to go with Hair wing McGinty...I've been wanting to tie this for a long time...thanks for the opportunity.

Steve

Okay, let's try to get this as the thread for this swap instead the first listing. PO closed yesterday. I know because I went there. Problem with being retired is you don't get holidays off like the working people do.

So, there was a good haul. A Cicado Trude by Dorado that should work in many situations where terrestrials rule. Could be a big cricket also.

A very nice hopper from BB that is going to be a 'gill killer when it's not floating down a trout stream.

Trez contributed a very nice Utah Killer Bug, one I always knew as the Sawyer bug from the original tier. Simple, plain, but in many cases a true killer.

Jolly Red has added a big eyed but smaller bodied version of those beautiful saltwater streamers we see. This is going to be an especially good smallmouth fly IMO.

Crackleback has come thru with a colorful soft hackle with a really nice blending of hackle. These will work in stillwater or on the swing in a wet fly set.

So here's what's in the house...

Vicrider's Delaware Hendrickson emerger on Klinkhammer hook

DSC00938_zpst6tvfylb.jpg

Breambuster's GFA Hopper

DSC00936_zpsy2ibmis0.jpg

Dorado's Cicada Trude

DSC00933_zps8xlukrx0.jpg

Crackleback's Soft Hackle

DSC00934_zpsur9xcgev.jpg

Jolly Red's Baitfish

DSC00937_zpsmphrh8i5.jpg

Trez's Utah Killer Bug that I've always known as the Sawyer Bug

DSC00935_zpsduv7h8a2.jpg

And three more nice specimens came thru today.

add147 Black Ice Dub and deer hair

th_DSC00939_zpsah7lo67s-1.jpg

Bambudday nymph

th_DSC00942_zpsb3iwiz53-1.jpg

Kennebec12 Olive Stimulator

th_DSC00940_zpszfsbuack-1.jpg