Fly Tying
tim980

Flies with bad reputations swap

Swap is closed.

We have 6 participants. That means we will tie up 10 flies. Tie up 2 of the same fly per participant other than yourself.

I'm sure almost everybody has come across an internet troll before, but I'm not sure how many people have come across a fly tying troll. A fly tying troll ties certain particular flies to elicit negative reactions from people.

Your fly must have at least one of these attributes to be included in the swap:
controversial
hated
banned
obnoxious

It can be the name, history, materials or nature of the fly that meets at least one of these requirements.
A fly loathed because people don't think it is a fly is perfect for this swap (worm, pellet fly, bread fly, propeller etc)

The fly I chose is the Booby fly. This fly was banned in some UK lakes because it was too effective at catching fish. Also, the name of the fly is a little controversial. It is named Booby because of a resemblance to women who look like Dolly Parton!

Flies are due August 12th.

1. tim980 - Booby Fly
2. grey brook - Sex Dungeon Streamers
3. joseph russell - Blob Flies
4. vicrider - Pistol Pete's
5. Jimboha! - Dog Food Fly
6. foambug - Madam X

post-51881-0-66668300-1410240706_thumb.jpg

post-51881-0-02945200-1410240710_thumb.jpg

post-51881-0-58185500-1410240712_thumb.jpg

post-51881-0-27094900-1410240714_thumb.jpeg

post-51881-0-51050500-1410240718_thumb.jpg

Welcome grey brook and joseph russell to the swap.

Nice choice grey brook.

Joseph Russell, Blob flies are perfect for the swap! Guaranteed to make a dry fly purist blood boil.

I'll have to think on this for awhile but since I've always had a bad reputation myself I should be able to find something that fits in.

I'll have to think on this for awhile but since I've always had a bad reputation myself I should be able to find something that fits in.

I don't know about your reputation, but your flies sure do catch fish! I caught about 30 fish on the Al Q's Beach Bug you submitted to the west coast surf fly swap a while back. Too bad I lost that fly. It was pretty lucky. Very different than how I tie it or how Al ties it. I thought it was pretty ugly when I first saw it. But that doesn't matter if the fly is deadly!

Man Tim, that's nice to hear. You just made my day. If I can remember how I did it you might just find another one in your stocking. As for this swap, I checked and I have enough props left to do a dozen Pistol Pete's. These are not only despicable to most dry fly purists, even nymph fishermen will turn their nose up to you when they hear the "whirrrrr" of your propeller.

After getting burned in the Carp swap this sounds like fun but all my stuff is packed up for a basement renovation. Would love to see the submissions though. This could get interesting!

After getting burned in the Carp swap this sounds like fun but all my stuff is packed up for a basement renovation. Would love to see the submissions though. This could get interesting!

I really wanted to sign up for that Carp swap. I didn't do it because he said for serious carp people. I've never caught a carp, so I didn't feel qualified to join. Really sucks what happened.

Hah, hah, hah - I'm in. I've got a pattern that I know none of you have ever heard about or seen before. I only know of one pond where the pattern works, but I've been looking for a excuse to tie up some more... You do not have to be any kind of purist to be offended by this one!

Hmm, now I wonder. If no-one else knows about it, does it have any reputation? I can PM you a description if you wish.

Jimboha!

Hah, hah, hah - I'm in. I've got a pattern that I know none of you have ever heard about or seen before. I only know of one pond where the pattern works, but I've been looking for a excuse to tie up some more... You do not have to be any kind of purist to be offended by this one!

Hmm, now I wonder. If no-one else knows about it, does it have any reputation? I can PM you a description if you wish.

Jimboha!

Sounds like the fly is well on the way to getting a bad reputation. I'm sure it will be great. The more offensive the better!

Thanks for joining foam bug!

I would like to join - with my favorite girl - " madam x"

Tim, I've got mine done so I'm going to just go ahead and send them. If we don't end with a dozen just keep what you want for extra if you do wanta any and send the rest back. I have a whole bunch of stuff to send out tomorrow so I may just as well let you keep track of them instead of me.