Fly Tying
Peartree

Fairfield Glade, TN

Hello all. Heading to Fairfield Glade, TN for a short vacation with the family in a few weeks, and was looking for recommendations/suggestions for fly fishing while in the area. Not particular about fish species, just looking for some quality down time fishing with the kids.

Thanks

Well, what kind of fish are available? That kinda matters in knowing what to bring

And welcome to the forum!!!

You'll be about an hour east of the Caney Fork and an hour west of the Clinch, both of which are known for trout.

Thanks for the welcome and the input.

Typically I'd rather go trout fishing, but my daughters attention span is a bit more limited, so bass and sunfish may be the way to go.

Thanks again.

Fished not far from there last month!Had pretty good luck with cinnamon caddis(16-18),Salmon eggs,blue wing olive (14) and wooly buggers.

Jd are they still hatching???I thought I'd caught the tail end of them mid July.

Might have been the Eastern sulphur I'm thinking of

zip, a size 14 bwo is enormous. I fish sz 18 - 22 BWO dries year round so I'm guessing you are thinking sulphurs. The big sulphurs (sz 14 - 16) are done but the smaller sulphurs/PMDs are around but tailing off. People are using sz 16 - 18 nymphs and dries if they are hitting them. It has mostly switched to a subsurface game for me as I am out in the mornings for the most part.

You guys are discussing flies and size and you haven't even got him to a stream yet! So looking at Fairfield Glade on map it looks like you're right on a lake and may have plenty of panfish and bass available right there. Several other small lakes around. Unfortunately you couldn't have gotten more in the middle of the two big names mentioned above, with Clinch one of the most talked about by many. Lots of smaller creeks north of you that may hold trout and water in the fall but that's always a question on small water in the fall.

Good luck and keep the daughter happy and not burnt out on fishing.