Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Redfish Flies!

Taking some vacation time next week to try to get my first Redfish on a fly. I've got plenty of flies, just never had many opportunities. I'll be visiting a friend in Wachapreague, VA, who says he's been doing well with Bendbacks. However, being it's an addiction of mine, and one can never have too many flies, I tied these up. biggrin.gif

2/0 hooks, each about 3 to 3/1/2" long.

100_4663_zps3041ab09.jpg

Looking good Jim! Might be a few flounder around that would also take a swipe at those. BTW - I'd be careful over in Wachapreague. The word on the street is that there are some extremely suspicious characters hanging around over there. At least that's what my neighbors claim. (LOL)

Great looking flies., you'll get more than jut reds on those. I don't know how the reds are in VA or what they eat, but down here I usually go a little smaller, #4-1/0 at the largest. They have fairly small mouths and feed a lot on smaller baits like shrimp, craps, finger mullet and pinfish the size of a quarter or so. Of course the bog boys will still crush a mullet or large baitfish

Peter, I suspected as much, but I've been known to hang out with some shady characters from time to time! Your neighbors might have a lot to talk about next week! wink.png

Agn54, thanks for the comments & suggestions. I've got plenty of smaller flies already tied up, so hopefully will have the range of sizes & prey covered.

I'll give a report if anything of interest happens. biggrin.png

Great looking flies., you'll get more than jut reds on those. I don't know how the reds are in VA or what they eat, but down here I usually go a little smaller, #4-1/0 at the largest. They have fairly small mouths and feed a lot on smaller baits like shrimp, craps, finger mullet and pinfish the size of a quarter or so. Of course the bog boys will still crush a mullet or large baitfish

Andy, we've got reds in the surf and on the shoals right now that run 25-50 pounds. There are a couple of spots I've been told about where (hopefully) we'll have a shot at some big fish. The ones I've been scouting are in a tidal creek, and of course, are much smaller. They seem to average 2-5 pounds, although I've seen a couple that were quite a bit bigger. I've done a lot more scouting than fishing, but I've managed to nail a few in the meantime on minnow imitations. The ones I've caught have been raiding baitfish pods that gather at the mouths of ditches where water is draining off the flats. (we have 5-foot tides here) The other behavior I've observed consists of fish rooting around in very shallow water with their backs sticking out - maybe they're after fiddlers? Anyway, that's probably ten times as much as you want to know about Virginia reds, but I love doing this kind of homework.

post-281-0-18156800-1378992615_thumb.jpg

Mudskimmer, I'm heading down on Sunday to fish with Peter, but with my luck, those fish will only stick around until Saturday!

Tidewater, That is often the case no matter who one fishes with. If i didnt enjoy the hype and the planning as much as the fishing, I'd probably take on a different pursuit. I have spent quite a few hours down that way chasing a different species only to find out that the fish showed up the following week. Whether you find em or not, the ES of Virginia is one of those last great places.

Regarding suspicious types. I have had at least one very strange experience down that way that involved losing a prop, being towed in by an offshore racing boat by two guys that looked like federal agents that behaved like they didnt have any idea where they were, but that is a story for another day!

Hope you get your red!

Peter, Nice pic. That one is really colored up! Wonder how long (late) those slot size fish will stick around the ES?

My doctor does a lot of fishing, (which is why I never miss an appointment) and he tells me they'll be around through October, when they'll start to mix with stripers. I don't know if the pups actually leave the river or if they just hunker down in the channels for the duration, but whichever it is, November is when it tapers off. Everybody keeps telling me I should be seeing some specks about now, but the only ones I've caught have been small. Aggressive little suckers though.

BTW - there are numerous "persons of authority" in these waters. 'Nuff said.

Made it down to VA on Sunday about noon, and got my first fly caught Redfish before dark! Peterjay is a fine host & put me right on the fish! Peter hooked up first, I stuck one that tossed the hook, then finally hooked up & landed one. Both fish we got were in the 4 to 5 lb range, not big as far as Reds go, but I'm not complaining! Monday went fishless, but we did some scouting around the area & found a few other areas that look promising. Didn't get pictures of the first fish, neither one of us had a camera, but before I leave this week, hopefully that will change! Only bad thing about all of this, I won't want to go home! Beautiful area!

BTW, my fish was caught on one of the above Bendbacks, with the pink body!

YOU FISHED WITH PJ and SURVIVED??? Consider yourself very lucky..

Last time I saw PJ was in the paper.. he wasn't looking real good.

hilarious-mugshots-bad-0.jpg?w=500&h=666

In all seriousness, its cool you made it down there. One of these days I hope I can too. Looks like a cool area and a nice place to fish. Plus its mighty close to Bluewater fishing..

Made it down to VA on Sunday about noon, and got my first fly caught Redfish before dark! Peterjay is a fine host & put me right on the fish! Peter hooked up first, I stuck one that tossed the hook, then finally hooked up & landed one. Both fish we got were in the 4 to 5 lb range, not big as far as Reds go, but I'm not complaining! Monday went fishless, but we did some scouting around the area & found a few other areas that look promising. Didn't get pictures of the first fish, neither one of us had a camera, but before I leave this week, hopefully that will change! Only bad thing about all of this, I won't want to go home! Beautiful area! BTW, my fish was caught on one of the above Bendbacks, with the pink body!

That's an efficient trip! Were those caught in the grass on flood tide? I hope to get in on some myself in the next week or two down on the lower Potomac. Tied up some spoon flies (I use the term loosely), clousers, and bendbacks (I'll make sure I include some pink). Been a very good year for puppies in the Mid-Atlantic.

Chefben4, yeah it turns out that PJ is not the axe murderer everyone thought he was! His wife is very nice too! I wish my wife would have been able to come with me, the two women would have got along great!

BTW, that's not a good picture of Peter, no glasses!

C'mon Ben, gimme a break. That's an old photo taken the day I went into rehab. I think this picture of you coming offstage at your annual Valentine's Day concert is much more timely. Gotta say you're a good example of how a person can practice pathological gluttony for decades with no ill effects.

post-281-0-08915500-1379427654_thumb.jpg