Fly Tying
ducksoup

Extra large Wulff patterns

I'm going to fish some remote, fast moving rivers in northern British Columbia this summer and want to tie some over sized Wulff patterns. I'm talking size 8! Those big white wings are very visible, even in rough water, but I'd like them even bigger! My concern is finding calf body hair that's long enough to tie those big oversized wings. I suppose i could use bucktail but it's so bulky I don't think it would look right. Any other suggestions? I already have some fairly decent coachman brown dry fly hackle that will be perfect for size 8. These fish are pretty unsophisticated. Stimulators work also and I'll be tying a bunch of those too, but I just really like Wulff patterns with that big upright white wing. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

original wulffs were bucktail wings

tips of white bucktail too bulky? not so much

calf tail

kid goat

turkey flats

antron yarn

white hackle tips

bleached elk hair

bleached/white deer hair

Yeah, I have some white yarn that is marked "Floating Yarn" that is poly something that I use on big and small flies of that type. But any of the above would work. or a couple fan wing white feathers.

It's been age since I read his books, but I have in mind that he built them on large hooks himself?

Tie a trude for an even more pronounced hair wing.

Or go foam for your wing post, white orange, green, yellow. Fish isnt going to care what that post is, its for you, not them.

All great suggestions. Thank you very much. These will give me some options to try. I've used calf tail in the past but I thought it was a pain to stack. I also like the foam idea, I think I'll try that too.

Upper Columbia Wulff Drake

fcdd97fe-ca8c-403d-9e93-9c8e5f31afa8_zps

a428d87c-5778-43f4-aa8e-c851110a217f_zps

ba45f208-cb51-434d-beff-d7b1b7348d63_zps

Found this piece of meat on the Evening Hatch site. Original called for moose body hair for the wing; the deer I had is very close in color and a lot easier to work with for this application.

hook TMC 5212 #6

thread - Danville 6/0 brown

tail - red fox tail

rib - Uni-stretch yellow

abdomen - 2mm foam brown

wing - deer hair dyed dark dun/fox tail butts

legs - Sili Legs speckled brown

hackle - grizzly/brown

Regards,

Scott

I like EP fibers or FTD Congo Hair. Almost waterproof and tons of colors of each. All hair, even if treated, eventually absorbs water.

Thanks, Bob H