Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

First topwater bass of the spring

Here in SE Ohio, the weather has been crazy the last few weeks. The temps have been warm, but we have been belted by rain day after day. For the better part of 10 days straight, I was unable to reach my driveway in my truck due to flooding, and was hiking nearly a mile to where I could park. Last night after work I took advantage of the sunshine and headed to a lake that handles rain very well. I caught a few bass on streamers, but when I saw a pair of weed lines paralleling shore along one bank, I pulled out the popper box. I worked all winter on these and wanted to see one get blown up. I got my wish. :headbang:

IMGP2344.jpg

It was a pretty savage strike, and I have no real idea how I managed to hook the fish on the outside of the mouth. Just luck, I suppose. I got one other small fish to slash at the popper, but failed to take it. It was worth it to see it get attacked once, though. A 14" bass made my day!

Here in SE Ohio, the weather has been crazy the last few weeks. The temps have been warm, but we have been belted by rain day after day. For the better part of 10 days straight, I was unable to reach my driveway in my truck due to flooding, and was hiking nearly a mile to where I could park. Last night after work I took advantage of the sunshine and headed to a lake that handles rain very well. I caught a few bass on streamers, but when I saw a pair of weed lines paralleling shore along one bank, I pulled out the popper box. I worked all winter on these and wanted to see one get blown up. I got my wish. :headbang:

IMGP2344.jpg

It was a pretty savage strike, and I have no real idea how I managed to hook the fish on the outside of the mouth. Just luck, I suppose. I got one other small fish to slash at the popper, but failed to take it. It was worth it to see it get attacked once, though. A 14" bass made my day!

thats a realy nice bass you cought . glade to see that some people are haveing some good luck .still waiting for it to warm up a bit here in maine .hope you have more and even better luck in the future .

Way to go man,Gota love the top water.Its in your face fishing....yea.All the hard work on those nice poppers, just to feed them to fish :headbang:

Keep on chuckin'

Bryan 'Salty Fly'

I picked up a few more on top over the weekend, but all small fish. It's still good to see them reacting well to a surface lure, though!

Totally awesome! My time has been crunched and I have not had a topwater take yet... I can not wait, and your post just gets the juices flowing, and me wanting to get out there!