Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ccahoon2

Wings

I have recently started tying flies and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on dragonfly wings because I have tied two different ways and neither turned out the way I had hoped. So if anyone would pass some techniques my way I would be much appreciative.

Adult dragonflies are interesting to watch, but for fishing, I think you find you do better with a dragonfly nymph. A Zugbug or a bushy Hare's Ear, or even a small leach pattern will normally produce where dragonfly activity is high. The adults themselves rarely fall prey to fish (at least, not in 60+ years of observation....)

PHG thank you I've only just started with flies and fly fishing and I will look into doing nymphs.

PHG is right. Just remember that nymphs are wet flies. If you need something dry to fish on the surface, go with a species whose adult is not quite so big, like a mayfly. You can tie adults to use when adults are egg laying, and emergers to use obviously when they are first emerging.

You might also use that dragonfly SBS to make a smaller damselfly adult... I've seen trout eating those.

A few things you'll need.

1) Head cement, silicone sealer or clear fingernail polish.

2) White, plain paper napkin (fast food restaurants have good ones for this)

3) A smooth, hard surface. Glass or mirror, granite table top or polished metal. You'll be scraping the finished product off, so don't use the kitchen countertop or anything else you "like".

4) Fine point ink pen (optional)

5) Razor blade or sharp scraper

With a single layer of the napkin on the flat surface (optional: you can draw veins on it if you wish) soak an area of the paper with sealant until it's consistently "wet".

Let it cure/dry.

Carefully cut or peel the cured paper off the glass.

Use scissors to cut the wing material to shape.

Brown napkins make good looking roach or hopper wings.

Another genius idea.... brown hopper wings. Sounds like something Dronlee would have come up with. I'm bound to try that since I love hoppers.

Adult dragon flies have thicker bodies than damsel flies but the wings are very similar. I would tie a thick bodied version of the adult damsel using the same method for tying the wing.

http://www.garyborger.com/flies-and-fly-tying/braided-butt-damsel/

Adult:

bb_damsel-dtf.jpg

The stage before the mature blue damsel is the brown teneral phase. You can use a brown color marker to match the mono to tie up a few teneral patterns. The brown teneral patterns will also match brown dragon flies.

2592705889_21157aaa95.jpg

Borger_Teneral_Damsel_2_zpsabeb37fa.jpg

Brown Dragon Fly:

Dragonfly-4cf9f6288649c_hires.jpg

If you want a lot of "webbing" in the wing ... a used dryer sheet, blacken the whole thing with a marker and then coat with sealant. I've got some pictures of flies with all these wings, on my computer at home. I'll post some pictures later.

I use extremely large Badger or Grizzly hackles wrapped parachute style over 6lb tippet and then folded over hackle stacker style, separated into wings and then fold the wing case over the wings to finish off the head. Good coloring and they float well flush with the surface.

Mike.... I presume you use used dryer sheets? The unused ones are permeated with some sweet smelling stuff.

Yep ... as stated, "a used dryer sheet".

They can be stretched and parted to give different effects.