Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How long does it take you to tie a fly?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Poll: How long does it take you, on avg., to tie a dry fly? What about nymphs, etc.?

How long does it take you, on avg., to tie a dry fly? What about nymphs, etc.?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 smokinprice

smokinprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

Because I dont do it often enough it still takes me around 20 or so minutes depending on the pattern

#62 panfisherteen

panfisherteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

o god i just spent i think 40 minutes on a fly for FTOTY bugeyes.gif rolleyes.gif all i have to do is glue on the eyes and its done cool.gif laugh.gif

#63 chrisbarnett

chrisbarnett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

On average: 2-5 minutes.

But If im not familiar with the pattern around 8-10.

Fancy streamers I spend up to 40 minutes on with all the different body parts, and perfect wraps.

#64 crappie

crappie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

It realy depends on which fly I am tying. Some can be about a minute, but I tie a tandem bass popper that is nearly 30 minutes apiece.
The more of a pattern I tie the faster it becomes.

Crappie

#65 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

Something really simple like a CDC & Elk... about 3 minutes.

Most patterns involving a few elements like tail, body, wing, thorax, collar, wingcase, etc. (pass lake, Adams, bwo, EHC, buggers, etc.) it's a solid 6 minutes after I get into it and the materials organized.

The precious stones in the queen's round metal hat glittered like jewels in a crown.

#66 flytyingscotsman

flytyingscotsman

Yes, I use Powerbait. Peach preferably. You got a problem with that?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:12 AM

How long is a piece of string ?

Following in the footsteps of Big Jim Leisenring ....

#67 SnagmasterQueedo

SnagmasterQueedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

It all depends on the fly....
For instance, something simple like a hare's ear nymph or a woolly booger... about 2 minutes, a standard dry fly about 5-6 minutes, a feather wing streamer with tinsel or floss body and ribbing maybe 10 minutes. A hair wing salmon fly, about 20 minutes.And a full dress Atlantic salmon fly anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours depending on the pattern.
These are assuming the materials are already laid out and ready to go.And this is for an "average" fly... nothing that I spend extra time with such as a show case type fly.

#68 tyrite

tyrite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

yahoo.gif some drys I can do in about 2-3 min. But If its Dragon, Damsel. or some kind of stimulator it takes about
6-10 Min to Ty!!!
Great question!! headbang.gif

tyrite (Glan Dayton)
Dubbing, Hair & Feathers Tying Flies Is What I Do The Best!
By Glen Dayton........ 36 somerset st, Trenton Ontario Canada
Email @ [email protected] phone 1-613-970-3385
www.tyritecustomflyshop.webs.com/

#69 NymphNut

NymphNut

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

I like to kick back and relax when I'm tying. Smoke a butt, sip a drink, pet the cat, etc etc etc. But when I gotta go, I can knock out 14 Wonder Wings an hour. But when that happens, tying becomes more of a job. Then it's not fun anymore. dry.gif

#70 streamcaddis

streamcaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

It all depends on how difficult the pattern is but my average is about five minutes. yahoo.gif
I was tying flies and fly fishing before it got trendy.

#71 Jeremism30

Jeremism30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

Most patterns 4-8 min. for the easy to medium flys. Complicated patterns that I have never tied before may take 40 min for the first, 30 for the second and 20 for a third and so on. But I have only been tying a couple of years and still consider myself a beginner.

But, don't worry about the time just have fun and tie, before you know it you will be a lot faster.

#72 Charlie Franklin

Charlie Franklin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:28 AM

Honestly it depends on what type of fly you are tying.
if you are tying one you have never tied before it may take you longer than a fly you have tied a zillion times.
it all depends.
Charlie ph34r.gif
EAT, SLEEP....... GO FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#73 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:13 AM

It depends which fly it is. Less than a minute to 4 hours.
"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com

#74 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Jan 11 2005, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hard to really say because of all the different patterns. But if your just talkin a basic dry fly like say a Adams then somewhere around 8-10 mins for me.
with all materials at hand a standard upright divided dry takes me around 10-fifteen minutes.A wooly about 2-3 minutes.A dave's hopper about 35 min.One of my bug skin stonefly nymphs about 50 minutes.A foam ant with legsa 5-10 minutes.Like has been said,different for every tie.If u r looking for speed.RANDALL KAUFMANS fly tyers nymph manual,suggest keeping a clean work area,get used to keeping ure scissors in your hand,making wing cases,legs,and spooling different boobins with different color thread,ahead of time.Also use just enuff thread raps to hold ,don't over do it.
shane

#75 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

The only time I measure speed is on commercial patterns, so I can tell how much I make in an hour. Hackle tipped wings like an Adams, less than 2 min. Gold ribbed hairs ear less than 45 seconds. Hair wings like a Royal Wulff or Humpy, about 2 min. 30 sec. A Royal Wulff for framing about 10 min. Speed comes with organization and having all your materials out and prepped. One Saturday I spent 9 hours separating 50 saddles into sizes for an order. The most important rule is that they are durable and well proportioned every time. I use a lot of tape for example I stack enough moose hair for about 100 flies on a length of duct tape. I looks like a big comb, which the hair length extends off the tape just longer than I want for each fly, I tape it to the bottom front edge of my bench, so I can cut just what I need very quickly. I do this with hooks too, using scotch tape I stick just enough of the eye to the tape, so it holds; that way I can grab the hook bend without even looking down at the hooks. Full Dress Atlantic salmon flies, between 30 min to a couple hours, but those are tied by ones, not hundreds of dozens. One time I sectioned 100 feet of bead chain eyes for a Crazy Charlie order.

Each cocktail doubles my time :-)

I guess my main comment is tying really fast and sacrificing quality is kind of like a hot dog eating contest. Yes, someone can eat 50 dogs in 10 minutes, but how do they really feel afterwards.

Happy Tying, Cheers, Futzer
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.