Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
scot

tying a double bunny

I have a couple of questions about tying a double bunny. First, What glue or leather cement do you use to bind hides together? What glue do you use to stick the eyes on? Any help tying this pattern I would apprecite.

Thanks Scot

I use the barbell eyes attached with thread and zap-a-gap. Zap-a-gap to bind the bunny strips and you're all set.

-Bamboo

I use "Plumber's Goop" rubber based glue to put the pieces together on either side of the shank then bind them down with thread. The Goop is really thick and I find it helps hold the strips in place while tying them on.

I prefer to not use any. I like the top and bottom to have the ability to have independent movement past the bend of the hook. The ones I tie are salmon/ steelhead size. If I was going to tie some monster size ones for pike /musky/saltwater, I may consider it.

~James

I haven't used the Double-Bunny specifically, but I do use Whitlock's Hare pup a lot and it's similar in construction, just uses a bit more materials. I use dumbell eyes and Zap a Gap on it.

I think the original D-B used stick on eyes, and I'm not sure about the adhesive.

I usually just put a little Zap a Gap on the strips over the hook area, but prefer to let the tails move freely. If I'm using stick on eyes I use EZ Shape Sparkle Body. As far as I can tell it is just puffy sweatshirt paint. I got a tube of clear pearl from Feather Craft. As far as colors, I usually use colors that resemble the local forage such as white belly olive back.

Plain old super glue. Easy to get and holds fast and well. Strip does lose some flexibility, but I think that's the case with any glue.

To stick the strips together, I use Loc-Tite Stick&Seal (purchased at the grocery store). It bonds very well and is waterproof, dries clear, and stays supple. I attach eyes with superglue. Best colors...olive over white, grey over white, chinchilla over gold variant, black over white, fire tiger(barred green or barred olive over barred chartreuse, with fire tiger polar chenille wrapped over the shank).

Barge Cement is another good flexible contact cement to use on rabbit strips. With contact cement, you have a little more time to properly place the strips, it stays more flexible, and its thicker, so easier to spread and keep out of the hair. Adams

I like the loctite or super glue gels as they bond quick but also give you enough time to adjust them . some other good colours are yellow over white, chartreuse over white and chartreuse over yellow. Black over yellow, or orange , red over white, purple over white, grey over white. small tufts of marabou can be added just behind the eyes to make a three colour pattern. I have been tying a combination double bunny with a palmered rabbit strip collar (Couple of turns) and a wool head to make a big profile bait fish pattern, like a sculpin or juvenile trout. Lots of water movement and action.

Hello All,

Since the double bunny is one of my favorite patterns, I wanted to jump in here. I've experimented with *A Lot* of glues and cements for adhereing rabbit hides together and I can say, without a doubt, that Scott Sanchez knows what's up!! :thumbsup:

If you are tying a fly that has two strips of rabbit hide glued together, it is essential to have the maximum amout of flexibility and movement. Using glues and cements that dry hard and stiff only translate into a fly that swims like a popsicle stick! However, using a flexible cement will allow your fly to swim and move like the real deal. Yes, it really does make a difference.

For reference, the latex glue that Scott Sanchez is referring to is "Tear Mender" and it is made by Val-A of Chicago. It is a fabric and leather repair adhesive that is non-toxic and bonds in 3 minutes. The stuff is amazing- you can squirt it right on your tying bench, apply it with a bodkin / toothpick and when it is dry, you can "rub" it right off your bench with a little finger friction. It cleans up like a dream- no residue whatsoever! Did I mention its non-toxic with no nasty fumes at all?!? :headbang:

Trust me on this one fellas- if you tie double bunnies, then go pick some Tear Mender up and thank me later. :thumbup:

keep it deep,

whippersnapper

Hello All,

Since the double bunny is one of my favorite patterns, I wanted to jump in here. I've experimented with *A Lot* of glues and cements for adhereing rabbit hides together and I can say, without a doubt, that Scott Sanchez knows what's up!! :thumbsup:

If you are tying a fly that has two strips of rabbit hide glued together, it is essential to have the maximum amout of flexibility and movement. Using glues and cements that dry hard and stiff only translate into a fly that swims like a popsicle stick! However, using a flexible cement will allow your fly to swim and move like the real deal. Yes, it really does make a difference.

For reference, the latex glue that Scott Sanchez is referring to is "Tear Mender" and it is made by Val-A of Chicago. It is a fabric and leather repair adhesive that is non-toxic and bonds in 3 minutes. The stuff is amazing- you can squirt it right on your tying bench, apply it with a bodkin / toothpick and when it is dry, you can "rub" it right off your bench with a little finger friction. It cleans up like a dream- no residue whatsoever! Did I mention its non-toxic with no nasty fumes at all?!? :headbang:

Trust me on this one fellas- if you tie double bunnies, then go pick some Tear Mender up and thank me later. :thumbup:

keep it deep,

whippersnapper

With endorsements like that, I need to try the stuff. . .

Adams

Old thread but I plan on tying some double bunnies. Right up to 3/0 size. Is tear mender still the go to or will any waterproof, flexible cement work the same. I have a glue at present that gives 3mins of working time and 24hr full cure. Stays a little rubbery and is waterproof.

I've also seen folk leaving the tail section free. Does this lead to a lot of wrap-a-rounds?