Fly Tying
Graham

Pair of Realistic Hex Mayflies

Hey guys,

Work has kept me so insanely busy for the past few months, with no time for tying flies, or even getting on the internet much. I finally had some time the past two evenings, so, I tyed a pair of realistic Hex mayflies. I used size 10 hooks.

Next week I'll be in the Adirondack Mountains and the Hex will be hatching. I'll probably take a few drifts with one of these flies on the line. The flies don't float, but I know a perfect deep pool below some rapids where I can dredge my hex...

I hope to get some cool photos to share...And I should have more time for tying this summer when compared to spring time... Hopefully...

Graham

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks Steelie. It was truly relaxing to sit and tye, had been way too long. On the wings, I scribed the viens, alternating on both side of the wings, gives it a nice 3d effect, like the real ones. I need to take a close up shot with a bit of sunlight... I think the abdomen is a touch too long on the first one I tied, and the thorax is a touch too long on the second one (the fly on the right). I hope to tye a third one real soon, but probably not before leaving on my trip this Saturday. It took about 5 hours each to tie and color the flies..

Thanks again,

Graham

Unbelievable Graham. I sat here for a sec looking for the fly next to the real Hexes you took pictures of before realizing the real Hexes had hooks. Simply sublime tying :headbang:

Hey Graham, welcome back and of course a return well worth the wait with those great patterns. I am sure most of us have felt the same and have missed not only your tyings but your comments and wit.

All the best and have a great time fishing...tight lines and threads

Mike................... B)

Graham

How did you get those Hexs to stay still while you pierced them with the hooks?

That is one realistic tye!!!

Jeff

Hi Mike, Mike, Ray and Jeff, Thank you.

I have been meaning to tye these flies for a year now. I've been taking photos of the Hex every year on my trip, and last year I wished I had a couple of realistics with me and swore I'd have some next time. Well, after not tying for a couple of months and a couple of days left until the trip, I decided it was time to get cracking. I'm actually satisfied with the results, so far, but I'll really know when I take pics of mine side by side with real ones. I should probably bring a few markers in case the coloring needs tweaking.

I also really like the tree bark and lichen I used in my photos, from a huge Sequoia tree located about 8,500 feet up in my local mountains. The flies can perch on my finger tips, and should be the right size. I scanned a set of real wings last year and used them for reference when making my wings.

It really felt great to tye for hours uninterrupted, was very relaxing, and I feel my tying chops coming back. I need to tye much more often, and typically April through July is my busiest season at work, so, I expect to be able to tye and be sociable online more often after my trip.

Thanks again and cheers,

Graham

stunning graham, you mentioned to me over the phone that you were rusty! i can't wait to see what you do once the rust is gone.

Bud

Thank you, I'm glad you like the flies. I hope to tye a much more realistic hex real soon with much better wings. Last year I brought a pair of hex wings home from my trip and scanned them into my computer, but I realize they shrunk and the shape changed. This year I took macro photos of the wings and body parts next to a mm ruler. I hope to make my wings much more realistic in shape and color.

Now for something completely different, a few pix from my trip to the Adirondacks last week....

IPB Image

A real Hex climbed up onto my flyrod...

IPB Image

Seemed like my fake realistic fly was trying to help her up...

IPB Image

Love at first sight?

IPB Image

Time for a kiss

IPB Image

Hmmm...

IPB Image

I think she likes him...

IPB Image

I think the flies were having as much fun as I was...

Ok, I can't resist, heres a couple more pix I like...

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'll tell you what, Graham, when you can build a realistic fly that is so realistic a live one wants to breed it and spend time with it, you have accomplished quite a feat! If you succeed in making the fly even more realistic, I think there is some danger it may fly away.

Ray