Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hopperfisher

crosscut vs. zonker cut???

Zonker is cut so the hair flows parallel to the skin and is normally the tail or wing.

Cross cut means the skin is cut so the hair is at an angle to the skin and this can be wound around the hook as a collar the hair will all face backwards.

I use the zonker strips for tails and stuff the cross cut I use to wrap around the shank and make a collar... seaduecer with a wabbit collar... oh yeah....

I use the zonker strips for tails and stuff the cross cut I use to wrap around the shank and make a collar... seaduecer with a wabbit collar... oh yeah....

Hi Guys,

Also use the cross-cut strips to make crayfish claws by taking a short section of cross-cut hide and trim the hair close to the hide for about 1/2 of its length. The tuft of hair left on one end is the claw and the trimmed end (the leg part) is attached to the hook. Take care & ...

As mentioned, I use strips for both wings/tails and wrapped as a body. But I don't own any crosscut strips. I use regular Zonker strips for my bodies as well. The force of the water will lay the hair back just fine when fishing and, when paused, the grain of the hide causes the hair to flair back out just a little better. More breathing action for me.

I'm w/Deeky....I use Zonker strips for body as well for the same reason as he stated....

Mike