Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kimjensen

Peak rotary vise

Hi.

This vise looks interesting. What i'm curious about is i don't see any option to lower the jaws for bigger/smaller hooks to keep the rotation level? Is it not necessary on this vise?

Hi.

This vise looks interesting. What i'm curious about is i don't see any option to lower the jaws for bigger/smaller hooks to keep the rotation level? Is it not necessary on this vise?

Kim,

I have had some experience on the Peak and it is a really solid vise. I have been tying rotary for many years, and I rarely adjust the vise so the hook shank is right in-line with the axis. As long as it spins, you will be able to use the rotary function just fine. Also, on really small hooks you probably won't use the the rotary as mush as on some of the bigger flies.

Sounds great. But i am a bit of a perfectionist so if a vise is called a true rotary, i expect it to rotate the hook around its axis with no problems (small hooks/big hooks).

adjust the vertical position of the hook in the jaws according to hook size for axial rotation

i use a renzetti traveler that allows the jaws to be adjusted and have never had to reposition the jaws one way or the other regardless of hook size. i guess after tying on it for so long i just know where to position the hook bend in the jaws.

You cannot lower the jaws on the peak vise, however as everyone else has said you just adjust the hook. Its quite simple. I dont see the issue with doing that but to each their own. If you want to spend a lot of money vs a reasonable peak get a nor-vise.

adjust the vertical position of the hook in the jaws according to hook size for axial rotation

i use a renzetti traveler that allows the jaws to be adjusted and have never had to reposition the jaws one way or the other regardless of hook size. i guess after tying on it for so long i just know where to position the hook bend in the jaws.

+1 on the Traveler, had mine for almost 5 years. Does everything that I want it to do for a rotary.

Bill

If I had the money I would buy the traveler right now :-) maby the presentation 2000.

Dyna King barracuda trekker looks nice too.

My main fly tying is streamers for saltwater in sizes 4-8. But I also do a little river fishing, so it has to be versatile.

well the traveler for 2013 has a new lower price at 159.99 and every now and then feather craft has a $20 off offer on orders of $150 or more. so for 139.99 you can get a really good vise.

however you really should go to your local fly shop and try out the peak or any other vises they carry. its the only way to know which vise is for you and your tying style.

I've been tying on a Peak for over a year now and I tie mainly on the sizes and types of hooks you mentioned (streamers 4-8), and I, too, also do a fair amount of tying on smaller hooks for small stream trout fishing. I have never had the slightlest problem achieving true axial rotation by simply adjusting the position of the fly in the jaws slightly. Frankly, if I had to adjust the jaws themselves every time I switched hook sizes to achieve axial rotation, I'd be shopping for a new vise myself. :)

For years I had assumed that when I upgraded from my inexpensive rotary (Danvise) I would go for the Renzetti Traveler. When the time came and I took it for a test-drive, though, I was not so impressed with the Traveler. It's a rather small vise, and it just felt cramped and dinky to me. It kept tipping on its base while I was trying to tie. The Peak, by contrast, both looked and felt very solid and comfortable. FWIW.

good time to buy the peak! j. stockard has $25 of fly tying materials with the purchase of a peak. i am going to buy one but just got back from a fishing trip so i am dead broke. i have to wait a while.

I've been tying on a Peak for over a year now and I tie mainly on the sizes and types of hooks you mentioned (streamers 4-8), and I, too, also do a fair amount of tying on smaller hooks for small stream trout fishing. I have never had the slightlest problem achieving true axial rotation by simply adjusting the position of the fly in the jaws slightly. Frankly, if I had to adjust the jaws themselves every time I switched hook sizes to achieve axial rotation, I'd be shopping for a new vise myself. smile.png

For years I had assumed that when I upgraded from my inexpensive rotary (Danvise) I would go for the Renzetti Traveler. When the time came and I took it for a test-drive, though, I was not so impressed with the Traveler. It's a rather small vise, and it just felt cramped and dinky to me. It kept tipping on its base while I was trying to tie. The Peak, by contrast, both looked and felt very solid and comfortable. FWIW.

Thank you very much for your input. I hate if the vise cant stand still when tying. And really it does not matter for me if the vise weighs a litlle smile.png

When tying shrimp flies i use whiting spey feathers, so the flies can get a little long and i worry if there's not room for the feathers with the peak vise?. I have attached a picture.

post-40674-0-48460700-1366108877_thumb.jpg

I tie on a peak and love it. As far as true rotary it's solid. That was the one feature I was worried about on the vise before I bought it. I tie alot of small trout flies and was worried it would affect me when using rotary techniques. In my opinion it does not affect me at all. I don't even bother adjusting my hooks when putting them in the vise. I think you will see what I mean when you buy this vise!