Fly Tying

Zonker strip cutter

Got tired of cutting my zonker strips one at a time so I kinda copied the cutter I saw on YouTube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWSpL22RuA

Got all the parts together and put it together - not exactly what I want yet but it worked out really well

100_7125.jpg

100_7126.jpg

My Daughter had brought me a bunch of old fur coats she got from cleaning out a house and I split the mink down into small pieces as they had been sewn together to make the coat

100_7135.jpg

Cross-Cut

100_7131.jpg

Straight Cut still hanging - being this way I take the vacume cleaner (cleaned out the bin) and suck all the loose stuff off of them, and that goes into a bag to make dubbing.

100_7139.jpg

Big gallon bags of both and plenty left to make more

100_7141.jpg

100_7143.jpg

100_7145.jpg

haven't done the sable yet but that's next

Wow nice job! I hate to sound stupid but I assume when you did the cross cut strips you actually cut across the hide sideways instead of up and down correct?

Wow nice job! I hate to sound stupid but I assume when you did the cross cut strips you actually cut across the hide sideways instead of up and down correct?

yup, cross grain cuts.

no stupid questions here; you know that :)

Nice work! What kind of blades did you use? Cheers, Ed

Those look like carpet cutting blades that you can get at a box store like Home Depot or Lowes. If that is indeed what he is using those suckers are very sharp and can very easily make you take a trip to the ER if you are not careful!

I am going to have to keep my eyes open at the second hard stores like the Salvation Army and Goodwill for fur winter coats indeed!!!!

Yes you cut across the hide and yes they are carpet blades. That was one reason I left the screws long. The best looking cutter I've ever seen but I don't have a wood shop to make is this one from "Feather Brain: Developing, Testing, and Improving Saltwater Fly Patterns, By Drew Chicone. No actual directions but a good pic of it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Cz9QiW8OzCwC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=zonker+strip+cutters&source=bl&ots=veJuIWHqAk&sig=srWDUl1sZV7KzBsrDDnm8fJ53JU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CF4Q6AEwCWoVChMItIPlxZm-yAIVxBY-Ch1g3Azb#v=onepage&q=zonker%20strip%20cutters&f=false

Yes you cut across the hide and yes they are carpet blades. That was one reason I left the screws long. The best looking cutter I've ever seen but I don't have a wood shop to make is this one from "Feather Brain: Developing, Testing, and Improving Saltwater Fly Patterns, By Drew Chicone. No actual directions but a good pic of it.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Cz9QiW8OzCwC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=zonker+strip+cutters&source=bl&ots=veJuIWHqAk&sig=srWDUl1sZV7KzBsrDDnm8fJ53JU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CF4Q6AEwCWoVChMItIPlxZm-yAIVxBY-Ch1g3Azb#v=onepage&q=zonker%20strip%20cutters&f=false

Nice link, i also enjoyed the read on dying with kool aid. very helpful

Got tired of cutting my zonker strips one at a time so I kinda copied the cutter I saw on YouTube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWSpL22RuA

Got all the parts together and put it together - not exactly what I want yet but it worked out really well

100_7125.jpg

100_7126.jpg

My Daughter had brought me a bunch of old fur coats she got from cleaning out a house and I split the mink down into small pieces as they had been sewn together to make the coat

100_7135.jpg

Cross-Cut

100_7131.jpg

Straight Cut still hanging - being this way I take the vacume cleaner (cleaned out the bin) and suck all the loose stuff off of them, and that goes into a bag to make dubbing.

100_7139.jpg

Big gallon bags of both and plenty left to make more

100_7141.jpg

100_7143.jpg

100_7145.jpg

haven't done the sable yet but that's next

With 2 90 degree elbows, a T fitting and some half inch pvc. you could probably make a nice handle for cheap. ohh and a longer bolt.. just a thought on a cool home made tool.