Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Fat Head Squishy Streamer - Perch

Click on the link below for viewing on my website, or watch the streaming video. However you want.
Fat Head Squishy Perch Streamer Fly

This fly moves really nicely in the water. The shell made by the UV resin makes this fly move very interestingly in the water. It glides and jerks kinda like a slow sinking jerk bait. The movement is very unique and in my experience, uncommonly found in other flies. The fly looks great in the vice, but looks even better in the water. It is almost translucent and shows the yellow dubbing (you could even use orange) under the white dubbing. I did not come up with this technique. A video I watched a while back had this technique with the flexible UV resin. Its pretty awesome in my opinion, and has really changed my fly tying ability for this type of fly. The fish slay this on my local lake. Small mouth, large mouth, and even a pike last time I went out with it a month or so ago.

Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 size 2

Thread: Ultra thread 70 denier in orange

Tail Flash: Pearl web

Fiber: Bull frog dubbing (white, yellow, pale olive, blue wing olive)

Flash Fiber: Starburst dubbing (pearl, light gray, golden peacock)

Stripes: Brown sharpie

Eyes: 3D eyes size 7MM

Resin: Solarez "flex formula" UV curing resin.

Pretty damn cool. I betcha fall trout will want to attack this. Do you sell the material to make these flies?

Thanks!

No, I don't sell the products, or any products. I have no relation with fly tiers dungeon, I just like using their products because of the prices.

I wonder if one cold use Liquid Fusion glue instead of the Solarez UV?

I've never used liquid fusion, but if it's flexible and doesn't soak into the fibers really quickly, it could give the same effect for sure. I know this "flex" formula from Solarez is really close to knot sense from loon. So if you have some of that, try it. I'm sure it will work close to the same.

Very nice. I love the shape and color. We don't have any perch in south Florida but it's been one of my most productive colors growing up. Thanks for the tutorial.

Very nice. I love the shape and color. We don't have any perch in south Florida but it's been one of my most productive colors growing up. Thanks for the tutorial.

Thanks! If you want another pattern, say shad or shiner, tie it with those colors. I tied a few mullet color patterns in the same fly earlier this week. (black, gray and white). All with the same materials, just different colors of it.

post-58316-0-90393600-1474080052_thumb.pngpost-58316-0-96396300-1474080059_thumb.png