Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Small Glass Minnow - Transparent Baitfish Streamer

Glass minnows are small, see through fish that are a food source for many predatory fish. These flies are see through, but I add a few things on the hook shank to mimic the insides of small fry or glass minnows. I also use a UV curing resin to make a small head on the fly and make sure it stays together well even though many hard hits from toothy fish. This fly is tied on a smaller hook than most of my glass minnows, because I plan on using this one for trout on my local river. Even though we don't have "glass minnows" on that river, there are small fish that this could mimic very well.

Hook: Umpqua U301 - Size 12
Hook Wrap: Saltwater sized Flashabou
Gill: Dungeon Twist - Red
Fiber: Starburst Dubbing - Pearl & Olive
Eye: 3D Stick on Eyes - 4mm Red
Eye Adhesive: Fletch Tite
UV Resin: Solarez - Thin Hard and Bone Dry

That's a good fly. Save for the body (I just use thread), that's exactly like the variation of greg Senyos ice man minnow that I tie. I mix them up. Sometimes I use the Laser dub, sometimes I use all ice dub. Here's the link to his tube version. http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogspot.com/2009/02/tube-fly-ice-man-minnow.html?m=1 I do them more sparse and on a hook (like yours)

That's a good fly. Save for the body (I just use thread), that's exactly like the variation of greg Senyos ice man minnow that I tie. I mix them up. Sometimes I use the Laser dub, sometimes I use all ice dub. Here's the link to his tube version. http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogspot.com/2009/02/tube-fly-ice-man-minnow.html?m=1 I do them more sparse and on a hook (like yours)

Thanks! :) Thats a nice fly also. It is tied a bit different though. Thats more of a high tie style in a way but same concept I guess... Also that one is two colors with one on top and one on bottom. Kinda bit different then mine as well since mine has the 2nd color hidden in within the pearl, which kinda makes a more transparent look I think. Not saying mine is better though in any way, just slightly different.

I totally agree that it is tied differently. I'm just saying i used his sbs to end up tying a fly exactly like yours. His pattern I think also doubles as an egg pattern in a pinch. I just think it was interesting that I "came up" with the same pattern as you.

I totally agree that it is tied differently. I'm just saying i used his sbs to end up tying a fly exactly like yours. His pattern I think also doubles as an egg pattern in a pinch. I just think it was interesting that I "came up" with the same pattern as you.

Great minds think a like... ;). Haha

We were tying flies very similar to these back around the years 1998- 2000 using various craft furs and synthetic dubbings, even gluing eyes on and super gluing or epoxying heads ( and it's not like I'm all that innovative, so who knows how long before that this was going on). Today there are more options in materials, more sparkle etc. Still, in terms of techniques, You can't tie much of anything totally new. You're bound to hit on something someone else is doing or has done long before.

Nothing new under the sun... for sure Dave.

Ya, but your fly is cool though !

I was inspired by the guitarist too, though the note pattern was simple, his expression was excellent, subdued but present. In many of my piano solo pieces that have come to me, I like to build off of simple patterns as well, so I found it easy to relate.