Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Drewby Doobie

Floaty Synthetic CDC Replacements?

Hi all,

I've fallen in love with a couple CDC dry flies this spring (Craven's Mole Fly and Antonio's Adult Mayfly), but I'm sometimes annoyed by the constant effort required to maintain the CDC wings and keep these floating high and dry. In light of that, I've been experimenting with various floaty synthetics to use a replacement for the CDC in these two patterns specifically. So far I've mostly been playing around with EP Trigger Point in a couple different colors, tying baetis imitations, but I'm not sure I'm sold on this method/material yet.

Does anyone have any good recommendations (either tips or suggested materials) to help in this effort? Or should I just suck it up and fish the CDC? Those with the CDC are so extraordinarily effective that I'm really struggling to improve upon the originals in any real tangible way.

Thanks y'all,

Drew

Questions.

1. Do you use any pre-treatment or floatant on the CDC? If so, what?

2. Do you use any method to "revive" the CDC after it has been "slimed" by a fish? If so, how?

Have you tried poly?  Since polypropylene is lighter than water and it does not absorb any water would this work for you?  

I've been working on a new pattern of my own - the STP Paraloop utilizing those properties.  Here's a couple pictures:

1968798403_KimsSTPPL1.thumb.jpg.a023999ad4df4fd0232e310616437ade.jpg

889376588_KimsSTPPL3.thumb.jpg.60220cbed75f470dc5d4fb94e7b608d2.jpg

The first is an "as tied" and floats a little lower in the water column - like a Deer Hair Emerger or Smoke Jumper would.  The second will float a little higher - more like a Parachute pattern - by simply compressing the original tie between your thumb and finger.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Let me say that both Charlies Mole fly ands Antonio's Mayfly as well as Antonio's midge are killer flies. I tie them with CDC. Before I fish them I liberally apply Loon Lochsa and let it dry. They float! After a fish I wash 'em in the river, blow dry and put on a little bit more Lochsa. A little goes a long way. Sometimes after the wash I'll dust with desiccant (Frog's fanny or something).  All that said, I'd say try some Sparkle emerger yarn or maybe some Z-lon. Kim's suggestion of poly yarn is a good one too. 

I'll second @flytire's suggestion. I don't like working or fishing CDC, excepts as a secondary material.  I much prefer snowshoe, and I love the translucence it has.  

Its a bit more difficult to work with at the vise on smaller hooks, but IMO, easier to maintain on the river, simply rinse and squeeze dry.  Though I have never used @Sandan's suggestion of Lochsa  

IMG-20220222-193918.jpg

BWO-Emerger.jpg

IMG-20220222-194324.jpg

2 hours ago, niveker said:

I'll second @flytire's suggestion. I don't like working or fishing CDC, excepts as a secondary material.  I much prefer snowshoe, and I love the translucence it has.  

Its a bit more difficult to work with at the vise on smaller hooks, but IMO, easier to maintain on the river, simply rinse and squeeze dry.  Though I have never used @Sandan's suggestion of Lochsa  

(Pics cut for brevity) @niveker beauty ties.  I was hesitant to try the Lochsa, thought it was hyped up, but that stuff works. It's more like an oil than a paste or wax, it doesn't mat the CDC fibers together. I'd recommend you give it try on your CDC.  In fact before I started using it I was always hesitant to fish CDC because it was a one fish or as soon as it sunk done fly.