Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Tippet Rings

For Swamp Fly... found my tippet rings yesterday and they're from Angler's Image in size large (3mm).  Haven't needed them yet (mackeral season won't come around until after October so they've just been sitting with all the other new materials etc.  that I haven't needed recently..). When I do use them finally I'll post up about how they work with a photo or two of how I'm setting them up... MIne are in bright metal - they also offer them in a blacked out version, which might cut down on sharp eyed small spanish macks hitting them (anything bright colored and moving in the water is likely to get hit when they're chewing..).  The first sign they're around if not showing is when one of my anglers needs a new fly - and has no idea he (or she) just encountered a spanish mackeral.. If we're using popping bugs the results are quite different - the bug gets a few tooth marks - but we do get the fish... since the bug seems to take the assault - and not the tippet..  

Thanks Capt.  Looking forward to when the macks make it into the Glads and hearing how it works out.  I bought some Cortland 1mm and 2mm rings and like you have not had the opportunity to use them yet.  The joys of doing R&D contract work.  Once my hair isn't on fire I'll get a chance to see if they work better.  I'll post it up.

Swamp

Now that my bookings have slowed down (this time of year I'm lucky to have one or two bookings a week -something about the weather... the fishing is great - the weather is just brutal...) I'm keeping busy filling lure orders (bucktail jigs and leadheads).  I may have a booking tomorrow though (and they're fly anglers.. finally...).

I use to make furled leaders that I would use "closed jump rings" I purchased from:

https://www.firemountaingems.com

They are sterling silver. Come on different sizes. I have passed out my leaders to family and friends to use and I do not believe anyone had problems (broken rings). And I got 50 ea. For under $10.00. 

I’ve started using the rings but moreover lil swivels and even snaps.  In my trout vest some hand furled leader with lil rings  Double Larkshead rather than furled in.   Got lil deals for prerigged multi fly deals.  Usually a hopper and couple of droppers.   
My WW boat box got some furled ready to go 8’ mostly with swivels and even have snaps on some.  Stopped popper casting line twists.

7508387B-F96A-4276-B555-229F84EE2D93.jpeg

E4BF31C5-51C1-4C3E-90CB-837FCFEDB09F.jpeg

5C38C620-9D36-4037-A802-911833F08EED.jpeg

4759C5F2-15F3-4668-A43D-BF75D68A9482.jpeg

C87A2627-2328-4299-8B56-DA50B0AF731E.jpeg

1CDC6A99-5B20-427B-A408-F046F93ED37A.jpeg

F8175FA6-E092-437D-90FD-C849BC603282.jpeg

I use the double larkshead on any loop to loop.  All you gotta do is run the small diameter thru twice.  Work it up to where it “round turns “ the strait part of the loop. It then “ bites” on it rather than sliding down and mangling the soft fly line loop.   Works on small mono to heavier mono too. Hang ups break at the fly not up at the leader.  Had to show my young AK guide this.  Saved his sanity as we were loosing DahliLamas and lower part of the leaders right and left cuz snagging a lot on the blow downs where the fish were on a float trip.  I fixed him up with flies and furled leaders!🤗

762F6A57-6F7E-44AD-9156-1C11BBFECAF5.jpeg

9C580908-4B0E-446F-AB4C-C0F51EE0C243.jpeg

811A3D0D-8AC6-4BFE-BFA6-5B50CC3E88FA.jpeg

B090C8F3-4240-4017-97AE-8C328C9A75BB.jpeg

F3EF1FE1-E513-4C3A-9758-8DBDD5264C68.jpeg

E6A930E3-79E2-4522-9FD2-20A49501AD24.jpeg

27367B5B-6C30-4AE3-89FA-C2E21755D508.jpeg

3 hours ago, niveker said:

I started using same about halfway through last season on some of my set-ups, with Borger's uni-leader system.  No troubles so far. 

Same here, but I get my rings at the local shop

36 minutes ago, denduke said:

run the small diameter thru twice

I like my tippet rings but this will come in handy for sure

11 hours ago, denduke said:

I use the double larkshead on any loop to loop.  All you gotta do is run the small diameter thru twice.

This is a good tip. 

I started doing this on my looped line to leader connections a few years back.  I'm not sure why it isn't more common.   Saves the loop on the fly line and makes the connection smoother for less hang ups when going through the guides, especially the tip top.  

Have to try that Larkshead, Denduke - thanks for the heads (but late at night up under bridge in Biscayne Bay or near a docklight somewhere I'll probably still be using my old loop to loop connecton since I can do it blindfolded..). The tippet rings from Angler's Image shown in Denduke's post are the ones I have - and I still haven't used them...  Right now water temps are right on the edge of warm enough to lure the big tarpon out of the Gulf and back up inside so I'll be filling up my tarpon leader spools instead... when I 'm not filling lure orders... or repairing gear (it never ends...).

CapmBob I have long since used your advice on salty stuff.   I think you use a Bimini Twist.  I use a DoubleSurgeons loop/double line glued with the DoubleLarksHead into a double nailknot fly line loop for serious stuff.  I have lately eliminated the big knot with the furled loops which are double line and finish the tapered furl leader with a mini swivel and  short tippet.  If a bite tippet can the swivel use perfection loop and figure 8 at the fly.   Or Albright glued to a wire bend/ Haywire twist at the fly.   Or swivel/wire....HWT at fly.  

5422748F-1661-48FF-94EC-83E80D6F6F1A.jpeg

C3FF35F8-0005-41B7-A560-DA71F5300C06.jpeg

2A24D6B7-26A2-44F1-BD72-B4D465C559FB.jpeg

BD3F5D70-F0D2-4BB2-9E01-EEC41025DC78.jpeg

Cool.. I only use wire to two configurations for bite tippets.. very light trolling wire (Malin's #3 or maybe #4) for macks, small bluefish (we only fish them in winter..), 'cudas and/or king mackeral (something I haven't done in a few years since I'm strictly inshore these days)..  All of my light wire leaders are for 8 or 9wt rods...

For sharks the gloves come off.  It's a heavy 12wt with six feet of 60lb mono as a butt section for the leader then a loop to loop connection to a 20lb class tippet (Mason's Hard nylon - basically a stiff monofilament with a bit larger diameter than mono for spinning reels...) then a minimum of a #6 wire bite tippet or as heavy as a #8 wire (all of my wire leaders use Malin's trolling wire, coffee colored)  - here's a pic

bFYqeQI.jpg

Instead  of those lovely lightweight tippet rings from Angler's Image, for shark rigs I use very small tuna rings (solid, welded ring in stainless) or a very small barrel swivel.  When you're using shark flies they're quite large (a small one is about six inches long with six or eight schlappen saddles for the tail) so finesse in your leader system isn't on the menu (this setup casts like a wet chicken so I do my best to set the situation up with the wind at our back or at a minimum a cross wind that's opposite your rod hand... 

This is my standard shark fly - the Bloody Rooster red and orange (the exact same color as your life jacket... The photo doesn't show the red nose of the fly...

9nftk4W.jpg

Hook:   Extra strength 4/0, Owner Aki or Mustad 3407SS or Tiemco 600sp

Thread:  Danville's flat waxed, fire orange or red

Eyes:   Large beadchain (same size as pull chain on vertical blinds

Tail:  six or eight wide webby bright orange dyed Schlappen tied in Deceiver style

Body:  three or four large (6 to 7 inch) wide webby saddle hackle same color as tail

Nose: an additional big saddle hackle in bright red to finish.... 

Flash:  Pearl, gold, and silver Flashabou three to six strands each tied in along the outside of the tail, ending 1/2 inch before the end of the tail feathers...

Note:  Those saddle hackles are mate and palmered all as a unit after being tied in at the butt end - using as much of the "fluff" that comes on these strung dyed saddles to give as much bulk to the body as possible - In use, this fly needs to be dunked in the water to get it as wet as possible before that first cast....  The idea is to have a fly in the water that the fish can feel moving as they approach... Like I said a bear to cast - but quite effective on sharks from six feet long on up...