Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Question about a pattern

The yellow belly mattress thrasher this is a link to it

http://www.danica.com/flytier/swilliams/ye...ss_thrasher.htm

I plan on tying some of these for next weekend's trip to the Au Sable, from what I hear they are doing decent with this pattern there right now. Anyway question is, I dont have any seal fur and it says the thorax and body is a mixture of seal fur and rabbit, would just plain dubbing be ok to use or should I make a trip to the shop for some seal fur? is the seal fur more buoyant?

If you can find some imiseal, it is a good sub, or angora goat. If I were in a pinch, I would mix raddit and antron (rabbitron).

I use angorra goat as a seal substitute.

mohair-like leech dubbing would also work.

think shaggy irridesence...

you have a source for seal?

mgj

Use dyed squirrel body fur dubbing - it's very spiky and buggy. Applied, it looks a lot like the image of the fly. Rabbit soaks up too much water.

joe C.

QUOTE (mgj @ May 20 2005, 02:05 PM)
you have a source for seal?

mgj

mgj I don't really know for sure, I wasn't sure if any of the local places would have it or not. I'll make a trip to the shop tommorow and look for some of the stuff you guys mentioned to sub for it. Thanks guys.

SD

albino snow slugs laugh.gif

I agree you should have some seal. If you cant get any or the above subsitutites, Trilobal dubbing. Antron, beaver, muskrat, or combed out craft fur, mixed with rabbit or squirel. Or any of the above combos. Cool fly by the way.

Steve,

PM me know if you actually find seal. Seal is pretty limitied here in the states as I beleive it's illegal to market it commercially here. Use the seal subsitutes or an antron mix as mentioned and you'll be fine. I've tied them with plain old bunny dubbing and they work fine.

I think you can get seal dubbing from Hunter's, SLF is a very good sub if you can't find seal. You can buy SLF in hanks and you can run it through a blender to whatever texture you like.

One comment here, seal is not the easiest stuff to use. It is very coarse and requires a lot of work to get it on the thread.

QUOTE (fishinlk @ May 20 2005, 07:39 PM)
Seal is pretty limitied here in the states as I beleive it's illegal to market it commercially here.

Indeed Seal fur is illegal to sell and possess in the united states unless you have documentation that the fur was imported prior to the ban...Similar to many other rare materials that will cost a premium. Angora or imiseal look pretty much like seal dubbing. Our associates in Canada should have access to real seal...to bad we don't ive_been_ripped.gif , darn animal huggers] what a bunch of crying.gif baby.gif