Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dflanagan

Reworked hooks

Hey all,

First attempt at making some blind eye hooks from other hooks. The original was a Mustad 3366-BR, size 1/0. Needs some work all around but I was surprised at how easy this really is.

Now to make some bending jigs and practice on some more. 

754EE089-1522-4D6C-9684-E14AD031A5B6.jpeg

Question: Does anyone know of better, longer shank hook models for reworking?

Edited by dflanagan

I personally don't do this, but a friend is into it. What I've learned from is isn't much but maybe this will help.

First - What are you using for a finish on the completed hook? My friend does a traditional Japan finish, and he is now using Mustad stainless steel salt water hooks. Model # ????? They are readily available on Amazon in a wide variety of sizes, models with various shank lengths and sizes. The point and barb on these hooks looks very good right from the factory too. I'll add the price is right as well.

Hope this helps and good luck.

George

Thanks for the info on hooks. I’ll check out the saltwater hooks and see how they work.

As for finish, this was the first I’ve done. I followed instruction I found on a video and just heated the hook after removing the bronze color. Once it turned a bluish color from the heat i quenched it in lard. Didn’t turn out great but this was just a quick half hour project before dinner so I hope with a bit more research and experimentation I’ll come up with something better. 

Thanks,

David

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Very interesting, an aspect of fly tying I know nothing about.  Thanks for posting this stuff.  

Thanks to all of you guys who keep this section rolling along. I don’t post much because I never really have any input and, honestly, don’t know what the hell I’m doing.

36 minutes ago, dflanagan said:

don’t know what the hell I’m doing.

I've never let that stop me.  

I re-work hooks all the time.  None for blind eye, but adjusting the shank and bend.  I use several longer shank hooks that come with offset bends, and straiten them out and the change the shank bend.