Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

Another challenge idea for the group

It seems that the challenge thread has been doing well and it has been interesting to follow with a wide variety of patterns, but I have had an idea kicking around that I wanted to see if the group would be interested in.

The challenger will post an idea for a fly to include the genre and basic materials, example:

Genre: Nymph

Materials: Turkey feathers of any type, peacock herl, rubber legs, mylar tinsel, marabou.

All materials must be represented in some way.

A "wildcard" material can also be listed which can be an abnormal material type for the genre, or allow for a "tyers choice" where the tyer can include any material they would like.

The listed materials should be very general (no specific brands or colors) and also allow for reasonable substitutions so that even individuals with a limited amount of materials can participate. If the materials fit a specific pattern, feel free to copy the pattern. Want to come up with something completely new, have at it. Realistic, sure. Wild looking, even a little ugly, definitely. Anything goes so long as the genre and materials are followed.

The challenge would run for a week so everyone has time to come up with something, or multiples if they so choose. My thought is that this would allow us to let the creative juices flow and see some ideas and techniques that we never thought of.

If there is interest in something like this I will write up the general rules and get the first challenge started. We could run it Sunday to Sunday if that works for everyone.

I think the challenge thread is doing just fine as it is. needing a second challenge thread is not really needed

I agree with Norm, one challenge thread is good. But you, or anyone, can present your idea as the next challenge fly after you take on a challenge. 

23 hours ago, DarrellP said:

The OP has a good idea for a swap, though.

I thought of that as well. The forum thread would just provide a convenient way for everyone to participate, even with multiple flies, or where one tyer can build upon another tyers idea/s to create something new. But if you all are happy with the current pattern challenge then maybe sometime in the future.