Fly Tying
WWKimba

Switch Out 2-fly Swap - registration is closed at six

I don't try 2 fly swaps very often and ALWAYS during the winter tying period so here goes!

This swap is actually a combination of a couple swap themes that I have done in the past.  Swappers will tie an "original" fly and then do a change to make it another related pattern - clear as mud yet?  Here are some examples to at least thin that mud.  Say you choose a wet fly or nymph pattern (say a March Brown), you could then switch it into its next stage (a dry or emerger) for that same March Brown.  Or you could change it into a streamer pattern with a similar color scheme.  Another example is to change a large pattern, say a bass, pike/musky/saltwater pattern into a fly more suitable for panfish in size (HINT: Many fishers of predatory freshwater fish - bass, perch, Walleye, pike/musky - modify bonefish patterns for freshwater use - another way to change things out!).  Or take say a salmon pattern and change it into a streamer pattern.  Lastly you could start do the opposite and start with the dry or any of the examples and work backwards.  The only stipulation, if you choose a size change option, is that there has to be a MINIMUM of 3 hook size difference in you ties (i.e.- a streamer tied on a size 6 hook size must be reduced to no bigger than a size 12).  The patterns can be already existing patterns or brand-new creations. (I now take a deep breath! 😗)

For this 2-pattern swap, the registration will close on Monday, February 13th (a nice reminder for Valentine's Day on the 14th!) and the 2 flies are due in by Monday, March 27th.  As always, this swap is open to all level tyers and I will be happy to provide additional assistance to any newer tyer or those new to swaps. And I will provide a fly-tying gift or two to all swappers.

EDIT: This swap will run for 6 people only so if you participate, you'll need 6 of one pattern and 6 of your changling pattern for a total of 12 total flies only. 

Remember to include the basic 5 things for the swap - the 2 flies, your toe tags (you can do just 1 tag for the pair of flies if you wish), your swap box, the SASE return envelope, and your sending envelope.  I am happy to answer any questions that anyone has and I do check this site at least once a day.

Lastly, HAVE FUN!

Kim

1 - Woodenlegs - received 

2 - vicrider - received

3 - cencalfly - received

4 - niveker- received

5 - Chris_in_Louisiana - received

6 - Dubs - received

I’m in but not sure about the flies TBD

BWO Dry 12

BWO NYMPH 18

Oh a question when would the flies be DUE?

Thought I’d clear my head 

0272F9D6-A8CB-4807-B714-A3226CAB5369.jpeg

Edited by Woodenlegs
Closer meeting the size requirements

I'm in. This is a thinking man's swap and right now my brain is a frazzled mess but I'll figure out your scheme someway. I'm sure woodenlegs will be first to arrive as usual. Man is fast at the vise for sure but never sacrifices quality on the way.

9 hours ago, Woodenlegs said:

I’m in but not sure about the flies TBD

Oh a question when would the flies be DUE?

Monday, March 27th (highlighted above).  Or do you have a different question?

Kim

4 hours ago, vicrider said:

I'm in. This is a thinking man's swap and right now my brain is a frazzled mess but I'll figure out your scheme someway. I'm sure woodenlegs will be first to arrive as usual. Man is fast at the vise for sure but never sacrifices quality on the way.

At least he waited until I posted the swap!😁

Just a reminder that this swap still has A LOT of openings in it.  I know the big challenge of this swap is that you need to tie two flies for it BUT if I only get 6 people registered that's still only 12 TOTAL flies you'd have to tie!  I can't help it - I'm an eternal optimist!  In a nutshell you start with 1 pattern and then can change it into your second fly by changing its::

- STAGE - say a nymph to emerger/dry/cripple/spinner or the reverse

- WATER - say salt to warm fresh for example (there are fishers in my area like to use bonefish saltwater patterns into bass/perch/walleye/pickerel/pike/musky patterns.

- SIZE - say streamer to a mini streamer or nymph.  NOTE: There has to be at least a 3 hook-size difference for this one - say start with a size 4 and down to at least a size 10)

- SPECIES - say take a musky pattern and modify it for a bass or panfish pattern

You need to do at minimum one of the categories above (and, YEP, you can include a couple if you wish to show off!😉)

It's the winter so I thought you might like a bit of a challenge!  Also, this is only the 3rd time in 12 years that I've hosted a 2-fly swap. (I guess I could've called it the "Green Comet Swap.

Kim

Why not lock at 6 tyers making it a dozen flies. 24 is a lot of flies and I would not be happy with that many myself though I'd try to do it. Prefer knowing it's only a dozen.