Fly Tying
WWKimba

Switch Out 2-fly Swap - registration is closed at six

On 1/24/2023 at 10:43 PM, vicrider said:

Why not lock at 6 tyers making it a dozen flies. 24 is a lot of flies and I would not be happy with that many myself though I'd try to do it. Prefer knowing it's only a dozen.

I guess I'll go with this idea.  So the minimum and maximum is the same number.  Like I said this is only the 3rd time in 12 years of hosting that I've offered a 2-fly swap and I guess I'm 1,1, and 1 in the wins/losses column.   Thanks for helping give this swap a chance to run.

Kim

3 hours ago, WWKimba said:

So the minimum and maximum is the same number.

👍  Good decision, sign me up.  But if it goes over 6, I will give up my slot.  

My thinking: Swaps on this site are pretty active, and seem to be getting more so, which is good, I love it.  It seems we always have at least 2 or 3 going on at one time, also good.  I prefer a 2 fly swap over a 1 fly swap.  That said, I would rather join two different swaps @ 12 flies/swap, than one swap @ 24 flies.  Spreads the wealth, so to speak.  

Any old who.  

Right now I'm thinking a Grizzly King streamer/ nymph or Patriot dry/streamer pattern, but will update with a final verdict after going through what I have on hand.  

Just 2 more tyers needed to close this swap.  Please note the edited rules for this swap - now we need to tie only 6 original and 6 changeling flies for a total of 12 flies for this swap and registration will close at 6 tyers.

Kim

Good morning, Kim!

I'm long overdue for joining one of your swaps.  Put me down as tyer #5.  Not 100% sure what I'll do yet, but probably something warmwater (Predator to Panfish).  Gurgler or some variety of streamer are the most likely options.

Chris

I got some mighty fine flies from Woodenlegs in the mail.  A great start to this swip!

Kim

I'm am slowly coming to the conclusion that Woodenlegs has tied huge batches of flies in stacks of a dozen at a time and no matter what swap you throw at him he can just pick the right flies and send them in before the rest have wrapped the first hook. I just finished the first batch of 6 and have a small articulated nymph design of my own making plus a classic standard on the front. I'm still going through material to see what I have to tie for the second fly. I think with the hooks and shanks I have available I am going to have to tie it bigger than I planned and it will be right for big 'bows, browns, bass, pike or musky. I use a fly like this one to scare the small trout of the pool before I concentrate on the big one still left.

I don't know that I really understand this swap but here is a larger bass or big trout sized and a smaller articulated based around the original Killer Bug.

DSCF7475.JPG

DSCF7473.JPG

6 hours ago, vicrider said:

I don't know that I really understand this swap but here is a larger bass or big trout sized and a smaller articulated based around the original Killer Bug.

DSCF7475.JPG

DSCF7473.JPG

You got it  -  2 variations of one pattern.  Looking forward to fishing those. 

Mine hit the mail today. Weather was great today and should have been out but had running around to do. Maybe wet a line first time this spring tomorrow.