Fly Tying
softhackle

What's the most unusual material.....

Hair from a smokey brown/grey Persian cat I once had. Perfect for Callibaetis nymphs! That's about all that cat was good for! biggrin.gif

I didn't tie with it, but on Ebay UK there was a bag of red pubic hair for sale for use in fly tying. dry.gif

I used some of my GF's hair one time for a fly, it didn't work out very well, because her hair is too straight.

I have the local taxidermist on speed dial. I have gotten my hands on goat, mountain lion, fallow deer, caribou, llama and God only knows what else. The mountain lion looks interesting. The underfur will probably be some super dubbing.

Mike

C'mon Mike.... admit it..... possum fur.... you know you have..... hysterical.gif

I think you can read my "Obsession" story and get an idea of my list... including the strands from one of those multi-colored "feather" dusters.... made of synthetic wool.....

I would have to say hair from my pug dogs.

In round two of the annual "Your Pet Fly Swap"

And here are the not so willing participants:

Baby and Bubba the "killer pugs"

user posted image

the the fly.....

The pug-daddy longleg:

user posted image

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom

QUOTE (Flytier @ Jun 6 2005, 03:21 PM)
No comment...

Cheers,
Hans W

Cool fly Hans, great to see you on FTF!

Best,

Damian Welsh

I've used locks of my grandfather's hair on a special streamer pattern that My Uncle (My grandfathers' son) and I use faithfully in our favorite trysting place! my Uncle carries those flies made with his white hair and a small ziplock bag of it every time he goes fishing there. That way my grandfather gets to go fishing everytime we do. He passed almost seven years ago now. My grandfather is the one who taught me how to tie flies and encouraged me to continue. I really wish he could see my flies today.

i didnt tie with it, but me and a buddy were fishing about a month ago, and he found a dirty ball of fur, he tied up some cased cadis with it, and they work....but i think its coyote poop !

I have some Arctic Runner, which is horse hair. Salmon flies employ some strange materials, but after a while they don't seem so strange.

I've tied with a lot of very available materials. About the rarrest I've tied with is artic fox, which is readily available. I'm always looking for new synthetics to try though...

Mark Delaney

Hi Flytier,

Wow, Your tiger is an incredibly magnificent creature, probably purrs like a freight train. I don’t remember ever looking at a set of photo’s on line for as long as I did admiring what you posted. Simply magnificent.

I have a few rattlesnake rattles and a friend has been bothering me for a while to tie one up into a bass fly. Maybe one of these days.

I just can’t get over the tiger and tiger flies.

Graham

i've tied eyes on fully dressed atlantics with whale baleen. i've used gorilla hair, polar bear, artic fox, rinosarous hornbill.

few others i won't mention

Bud