Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Fly Challange #6

here's the new fly for the Fly Challange guys. This challange fly was submitted to us by Vices and it a very nice looking scud.

Remember any variations of a scud are allowed so lets see what you guys can come up with.

user posted image

Here is a scud that I like to fish it is really easy. I tie on a peice of bug skin cut thin to the bend. I take a few feathers from a pheasent or partridge that is all web no barbs or maraboo. I cut off all of the web from 3 or 4 feathers. Mix in some grey maraboo or fluff and then dub it to a waxed thread (iuse my main thread) I wrap to the eye. Then I pull the bug skin over tie it off cut it downand wrap the bug skin and dub back to the bend and whip at the bend. You can eather use sallys or epoxy on the bug skin now. I think that it also looks like a small cataplier.

post-2-1118374501.jpg

Rather than bug skin a sealed hackle feather looks sweet to. Like natural variant!

user posted image

This one has the trout and grayling crossing the currents to pick it up.

it's a GREAT shrimp

rolleyes.gif

Roy

Hi, Will, it's a bit of strong plastic sheet cut to size & shape.

the tie is

scud hook, orange 6/0 Uni

tie in two woodduck fibres for horns,

tie in a strip of mother of pearl mylar and run it to eye and back, then secure and varnish over the mylar

tie in strong plastic strip for shellback (already cut to shape and width)

tie in a partridge back feather for the legs (by tip)

tie in some 5x tippet for ribbing

Dub the thread with the magic olive dubbing and cover the mylar body to just behind the eye.

Pull the partridge feather over and secure it so the fibres are equal both sides of the shank. Be gentle, don't break the partridge feather.

Pull the shellback plastic strip over & secure, making sure it is even both sides

Rib with the mono, picking out the dubbing and partridge legs as you go

Tie it in then add two woodduck fibres over the eye, for the 'tail'

Whip finish

Then lacquer the shellback, allow to dry, then lacquer again and allow to dry.

When dry - (NEXT DAY) draw out the dubbing with velcro to make the body thin and emphasise the legs

Tie them in batches to save drying time. the fly takes four or five mins to construct when you have had a bit of practise. They are of course bulletproof.

Hope that works for you

Roy