Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Swappers in smokeymoutainstonefly swaps

A few days ago I posted for no one else to send their flies in on ethier of the 3 swaps that smokeymoutainstonefly had going and I'm sure those of you in his swaps have been wondering what was going on. We the staff here at FTF have been trying to find some information out and come to a decision before we posted this so we could have all the information for you guys, so here is what has transpired.

The first thing that started these concerns we had was the "mystery fly box" swap. I was contacted by the Swapmeister of the mystry swap and he informed me that he had conformation that "smokey" had recieved the swap box on or before May 4th and had not sent it to the next person in line yet. He also said he had sent numerous PM's & Emails to smokey about the issue and had not recieved a response yet from him. So on June 1st I contacted smokey myself and was able to get ahold of him. I gave him the benifit of the doubt and he in return promissed me that the swap box would be sent out the very next day (June 2nd).

Then on June 20th I recieved word that he STILL had no sent the swap box out. I was able to get ahold of smokey once again a few days after I started trying and his reply was simply "work was busy" and he just shipped the box. I did recieve a photo copy scan of the shipper so the box IS finally in route to the next person in the swap. This was after holding the swap up for almost a full 2 months.

Because of the fact that he held that swap up for almost 2 full months, he has not returned any email/PM's to anyone that was in the swap and asking about it, and the fact that he has 3 swap going which no one on the FTF staff feels he will uphold those swaps, so smokeymountainstonefly has been banned from the site.

Now I know there are a number of people that have already sent him their swap flies, but we are taking this step to prevent any farther problems. Those of you that have already sent him flies you can contact me or SmallieHunter and we will give you smokeys contact information so you can request that he sends your flies back to you.

This is the first real problem that we have had here at FTF with a swapmiester and it really saddens all of us on the staff that we had to take these steps, but we are doing this simply to protect the swappers that may have not sent their flies to him yet the best we can. Hosting a swap on this site is a very enjoyable thing to do but it also requires a certian amount of responsibilty and we can not allow him to continue on with his swaps or with the site.

We also will be posting a new guideline for hosting swaps for the swappers protection that I will post directly after this topic and pin it to the top of this forum.

Thank you

The staff of FTF

According to this set of rules I can't be in a Swap anymore. I live in Europe and I have no American Stamps. At the postoffice they told me that there was no other possibility then sending money. They don't have international reply things. The only thing that comes to mind is paying via PayPal.

What can I do?

Sjo

Sjo,

We haven't even announced any changes to the rules yet, perhaps you read something wrong? Let me know what your having trouble with and I will try to help you out.

I think see what he's talking about.

Sjo the rules have been up for months now, I just added the reply to OSD's original post. So that part about "not sending money" is something that has been posted for 6 months now. Thats just to keep the swapmeister from having to go buy a bunch of stamps because someone in the same country was to lazy to do it themselves, the exceptions of course would be someone in your case that cant get a proper return postage envelope, so nothing has changed on that part. If you cant abtain proper stamps then you can send $$ to get it back to you wink.gif

you know, i think this says a whole lot about the people who run this site, and the people who visit here, this is the first swap, since ive joined this site in january, that ive heard of something gone wrong..... and theres been a ton of swaps.

Thanks for the heads up on this swap. I do appreciate the job you and the mods do. Now somebody do a Beadhead swap, I got the flies tyed already. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Paymaster @ Jun 22 2005, 08:33 PM)
Thanks for the heads up on this swap. I do appreciate the job you and the mods do. Now somebody do a Beadhead swap, I got the flies tyed already. biggrin.gif

Yeah, thanks for all the work you guys do. You guys are what make this place such a great site.

I was looking forward to the bead head swap too. I hadn't tied the flies yet, but it looked like we had a good line up. I have been working like crazy this week, and my hours seem to coincide with the post office's hours, so I haven't gotten a chance to get the flies for the caddis swap in the mail yet, but give me a couple of days and I'll get another bead head swap goin. headbang.gif

I would just like to let everyone know that I am not trying to keep anyone's flies. I have been overwhelmed with work lately and having to travel all over the country. I am currently in L.A. and will return everyone's flies on tuesday when I return. I will include everyone a fly of my own for the frustration. The terrestrial swap is the only one that I recieved enough flies to distibute and will gladly do so if you want me to.

Sorry

Smokey

Smokey,

Even though I did not personally participate in any of these swaps, this type of "stunt" really pisses me off. You apology is empty and a bunch of bs.gif . You took the time to reply to Steve's emails so you had the time to at least come on the site to let everyone know that there was going to be a delay. You choose to keep everyone in the dark and managed to piss off everyone who is involved with this site.

The thing that really pisses me off is it was you who bitched and complained when we said something to you when you first joined because your first posts were about hosting a swap.

You gone and no longer welcome here. You have wasted to much of myself and the mods time dealing with your antics. I hope all the swappers get their flies back, it's the right thing to do.

We don't like to waste our time dealing with idiots, we would much rather spend that time doing good things for the site.