Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

Flag Fly - Another Variation From My First Post

I saw Norm's wet fly "USA" and that had me thinking about what I have tied along those lines in the past myself. This is one version of the flag flies I have tied in the past. This one is special however because it is tied on a very rare Ronn Lucas, Sr. powder coated hook. He didn't do many simply because they were what he described to me as a f*****g pain in the ass...and he said it with a chuckle.

DSC_0011 (2).jpg

Thanks Bruce. My inspiration for this was when I saw Roger Plourde's fly he called "America".

46 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Roger Plourde's

Very nice tie George did you dye the blue yourself? the shade is very appropriate, including the gut. Roger recently tied a tribute fly for the Connecticut River Salmon Association I see him on occasion, he is my best local source of nice materials.

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

Very nice tie George did you dye the blue yourself? the shade is very appropriate, including the gut. Roger recently tied a tribute fly for the Connecticut River Salmon Association I see him on occasion, he is my best local source of nice materials.

Thanks for the compliment!!  The days of dying my own materials are long gone. The gut was simply colored with a blue Sharpie. All of my dyed materials come from John McLain at feathersmc.com...easily the best dye jobs in the business.

As far as Roger is concerned, I have some very nice goodies I got from him at the Somerset (now Edison) New Jersey fly fishing show...as well as buying gut directly from him to twist for the eyes on my classics.

35 minutes ago, Adam Gallant said:

Fantastic work...  I really like the wing work and the cascade of the topping...

Thank you sir!!