Fly Tying

Look at the little critters I brought home.

Well I went to the flyshop and picked up a bag of Mallard wings and didn't look really close at the bag till I got it home.

user posted image

user posted image

There was a couple of casings and a couple of live little critters in that bag. Luckily I hadn't opened it up yet. Thank goodness it only cost a buck.

Be careful of what you buy and make sure you look at it closely.

Jim

Wow....that is scary unsure.gif

I would give them a call and give them a little hell. They should be thankful, something like that could be really bad if it got mixed in with the rest of your materials. bugeyes.gif

ok Jim, picture this in your mind

take a couple hard chews on the plug in your mouth

spit out a big juicy gob of tobaccy juice on the floor

crack open the double barrel

take a deep breath and mumur

taken out the bird shot

puttin in the buckshot

time for a refund

Bud

Something like that could have ruined all your materials. I dont think i could trust that shops product ever again.

Was it a name brand or something he put in the baggie himself?

Hi everyone. Yeah that was kinda scary. It was the first time something like this has happened to me. You know you always heare the horror stories. Well yep this could've been one of them. As far as the owner I called hiim yesterday and told him about it and he said he was sorry and has had problems with that vendor before so he is thinking about dropping them now. They are a local vendor here in Colorado. He said the next time I come in he will give me a refund for it.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry to learn about your "addition" to the tying supplies. I suggest you "bomb" your complete house. By that I mean, go to ACE hardware and get several bug bombs and scatter them through out the house and set them off. Open all tying materials containers, drawer, closets,etc. Set off twice as many bombs as recommended and don't forget the garage or the car you brought the little critters home in. Then take your wife shopping for about six hours or whatever the time frame is mentioned on the bomb.

This may sound like overkill but your tying materials and many of your clothes are in jeopardy (been there, done that!). Good luck & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

The part that I find very scary is that it came from a shop. I have never really thought much about material that I get from a shop and always just assumed it was safe. huh.gif

Thanks guys, I'm thinking I will be away from the house on Saturday for a few hours. So I will probably spray some stuff around the house really good. I don't think (and yes this is very dangerous on my part) anything got out of the bag. It was ziplocked and there wasn't any holes in the bag. But maybe I should think better safe than sorry on this one.

I have already thrown the bag away. Because for $2.00 worth of materials isn't worth the chance of not getting them all killed and then have a real mess on my hands.

Jim

I used to tie a lot and tie commercially but got out of it except to tie for myself and friends. I recently opened a plastic box of chinese neck hackle which contained about 15 necks. Basically 80% of it was dust and bug casings. Normally I put moth balls in my boxes of materials but didn't in this case. I'll make sure to do that with everything now... looking at that stuff was NASTY... and exspensive

I use mothballs: a moth ball or two in every container and every ziplock bag. I've had no problems ever and don't intend to start! Personally I think it's cheap insurance! Lots of luck with you infestation, don't believe you don't have one. Eggs from them critters are microscopic and are surely adhearing to the bag itself. Opened or not I'd be suspicious, and mothball all of my materials.

Toddfather

Little trick i have learned about "no pest strips"

they look like pieces of thin cheese, cut a few pieces up and put them into my material storage drawers, never had a problem and dont think i ever will...