Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dbracertaylor85

Carp

My best fly for common carp, overall, was a sz 8 ginger woolly bugger. Other flies have caught them, but that size and color seems to be my best. You might try other colors, though. Basically match what they are feeding on. If that happens to be Cheetos by the boat dock, or crab apples by the creek, just match what they are feeding on at the moment....just like trout. Cottenwood seeds, mulberries, corn where river barges get loaded, mayflies when the hatch is big enough, grass hoppers when there are a large enough quantity, crayfish, minnows, worms ,etc, etc, etc. They are omnivors, and will eat whatever they can find in a large quantity. Heck, train them to eat Trix cereal for long enough, and you can bet the farm on the fact that they will take a floating globug pattern of the same color!

I'm relatively new to this game and really want to try everything. I've fished for carp quite a bit with bait, (even done a little of the European stuff) so the other day when I saw a dozen, or so, carp feeding on the surface I tossed in a #12 foam ant. They never quit feeding but avoided the thing like the plague. I was a little let down and glad I had no witnesses. dry.gif

Crayfish patterns, clousers, nymphs, ect. Have a look under the species page there are a few patterns there. Here is something to think about carp are like bonefish they are mainly bottom feeders but will also take minnow immatations as well. They are also know to eat berries, and other floating things. When I was a child the main bait was a rolled up ball of cornmeal, I guess the orriginal form of power bait.

I use primarily the tan Lil' Bugger, a crayfish, or a meaty nymph like a Brer Possum or Clouser Swimming Nymph. I have found that carp will go after nearly anything that is presented right. Thanks to their swim bladder being connected like an amplifier to their ear membrane and their excellent vision, that can be tricky. As a rule I find it extremely important, due to the mouth structure and location, to fish on the bottom only flies riding hook up.

I would have to agree with the majority of the group. :headbang:

The woolly bugger is the way to go. :yahoo:

My particular version is the olive conehead.

Also deadly on my local bass.

While Smallmouth fishing this summer I was buzzed by a pod of carp that must have held 60-100 fish in the 14-18 inch range. We were waist deep and the fish were cruising about a foot under the surface. We were motionless and they just seemed to cruise areond the three of us unspooked.

Every once in a while one would eat something off the top. I tied on a #12 olive bullet head hopper, made about 60 casts, finally one came to surface and just sucked in down. What a thrill, played him for about 10 minutes and he spit the fly out. Tuff lips.

The did chase and oberve many types of flies we threw at them, but this was the only taker.

Conehead

Down here in Alabama I tie a Wooly Worm to match the Oak Moth or tent caterpillar. I use a size 8 Mustad 9672 or a Cabela's 40 hook to imitate the caterpillar as well as possible. I also always mash down the barbs on all the flys I tie. I tie it unweighted and grease the hackle to float the fly. I've caught almost every species in the area, Large & Smallmouth Bass, Kentucky Spotted Bass, Channel cat, Carp, Buffalo, Bluegill, and others on this fly under the caterpillar webs. Some of these fish were big. Ralph