Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Herb garden

My wife wanted an herb garden and I found a bed frame. We shall see how this goes before I commit to more pots. I can put 3 more on the front and 11 on the back if so inclined. 

IMG_7762.jpeg

It’s ridiculous how much this cost even with a free bed frame.

1/2” by 10’  rebar (5) - $36.00. I can’t believe the price of rebar. 

10” Clay pots (8)- $54.00. I can’t believe the price of clay pots.

20’ 1/2” by 1/8” flat bar - $40.00. I can’t believe the price of flat bar.

Miracle grow potting soil - $17.00. I can’t believe the price of potting soil.

Bonnie herb plants (8) - $40.00  I can’t believe the price of herb plants.

2 cans black spray paint - $15.00. That’s about right.  

Oh well, I enjoyed making it, the bed frame is out of the shop and my wife loves it. 

4 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

2 cans black spray paint - $15.00. That’s about right

For future projects that need black spray paint, if you go to Lowes they have their house brand ones usually in boxes below the name brand ones in the rack for only $2.48ea.

I've used it on a lot of my own projects and it seems to hold up just as well as the Rustolem or other brands. I know it's not a big savings, but if you go through a lot of it like I do then it adds up in savings. Only bad thing is they only have it in black and white, no other colors.

So far so good. I had to make a design change. The original just had the pots hanging from hooks off the metal rings but this let the pot hang at about a 30 degree angle. It looked great but was a pain the butt to water since the water would simply run out of the pot on the lower rim side. I made a new bracket where the top of the pot hands from the rebar from the original hooks but now the bottom has a bar that connects to the hole in the bottom of the pot and holds the bottom out so the pots now sit level and the water no longer runs out one side of the pot. I added two more pots as well.

IMG_7980.jpeg

Hi Poopdeck, because I am a wise acre, I thought of three ways to answer this. First, I was thinking that herb is becoming more and more legal, but maybe not in your state. People up here can grow a couple of plants for personal use. I then thought that it's not my kind of thing and maybe not appropriate to talk about on a family forum, so I'll drop that.

Then I thought I'd say something like "Who this Herb guy, and why don't he introduce himself, maybe show us a fly or something.

Instead, I'll just stay serious and say nice job, excellent. I'm not going to show Angel cuz she'll think some people stay home and do things for their wives. That would be bad.

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

People up here can grow a couple of plants for personal use. 

Then I thought I'd say something like "Who this Herb guy, and why don't he introduce himself, maybe show us a fly or something.

Instead, I'll just stay serious and say nice job, excellent. I'm not going to show Angel cuz she'll think some people stay home and do things for their wives. That would be bad.

Another reason to move to Alaska. 

I’m sorry, for you alaskan guys I should have said erb garden. 

I’m forced to stay home more after retiring (twice) and taking a third job with only two weeks off a year. How do people do it? 

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Oops, Angel saw it and now she wants one. There goes another fishing trip.

There’s nothing better then a caprese salad made with a fresh Jersey tomato, just plucked basil and fresh mutz from Fiores Italian deli in Hoboken, with the possible exception of a fresh caprese salad stream side while king salmon fishing. I’d say what Angel wants Angel gets. 

On 6/30/2023 at 4:23 PM, Poopdeck said:

Another reason to move to Alaska. 

I’m sorry, for you alaskan guys I should have said erb garden. 

I’m forced to stay home more after retiring (twice) and taking a third job with only two weeks off a year. How do people do it? 

There’s nothing better then a caprese salad made with a fresh Jersey tomato, just plucked basil and fresh mutz from Fiores Italian deli in Hoboken, with the possible exception of a fresh caprese salad stream side while king salmon fishing. I’d say what Angel wants Angel gets. 

Sounds delicious and yes, in my older age, I'm seeing the wisdom of at least trying to keep her happy in between fishing trips.