Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyflinger

Tying Bench Tools Organizer

I've used all manner of fly tying tools organizers over the years, including a few fancy wood models I built myself - I indeed keep a bunch of stuff on my tying bench!  I have come to appreciated the foam ones that are so popular now - quiet, and does no harm.  My latest experiment is actually a cheap battery organizer I bought years ago, but I noticed that if you google "fly tying tools organizer" you get quite a selection of options.  The Renzetti (black foam) that has been around for years was perhaps the original foam one, but Hareline has some much nicer ones now (Foamanizer).  This is just a discussion topic and an FYI . . . no particular agenda . . .    

Regards,

I simply make mine from packing foam.  Easy to make and free.

I have managed to get by for the past 20-some years with just a couple sizes of tin cans with a handful of pennies in the bottom for some added stability.

49 minutes ago, utyer said:

I simply make mine from packing foam.  Easy to make and free.

That's what I do too - when it gets too chewed up, I just grab a new chunk.    

image.png

i just use my tying bench as a tool organizer. it holds the tying tools i use most

i'm not into the new fangled hareline foaminizer thingies $$

On 7/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, flytire said:

image.png

i just use my tying bench as a tool organizer. it holds the tying tools i use most

i'm not into the new fangled hareline foaminizer thingies $$

Hi flytire did you make this tying station yourself or if not could you share the make please. I've been looking to buy one like yours and yours looks ace. Thanks

3 hours ago, flytire said:

greenback model

After having it for a while, what, if anything, would you add, subtract, or modify?

Maybe a pair of lights as shown on the website I posted 

I prefer the tools and thread holders located at the back of the bench rather than on the sides like other benches do.

the bobbin holder tower is convenient but could be removed if needed 

I thought about adding a vise stem holder to replace the pedestal but then my vise wouldn’t be as portable as it is now 

14 minutes ago, flytire said:

Maybe a pair of lights as shown on the website I posted 

I prefer the tools and thread holders located at the back of the bench rather than on the sides like other benches do.

the bobbin holder tower is convenient but could be removed if needed 

I thought about adding a vise stem holder to replace the pedestal but then my vise wouldn’t be as portable as it is now 

Thanks for the feedback.  

I am truly amazed!  My tying bench (an antique roll-top desk) has never looked that orderly and organized . . . not ever in over 40 years!  🤪   In fact I originally got the roll-top desk because my wife got tired of looking at the mess - so I could simple close the top.  But I fooled her - After I filled all the drawers in the desk, I expanded to an additional separate cabinet next to the desk to handle more materials, and now there is stuff all over the top of that too.  I go through it all every once in a while and am surprised to find stuff I forgot I had.               

Regards,