Tail - Bronze mallard fiber
Butt - Yellow ostrich herl
Body - Claret floss or wool
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Throat - Bronze mallard fiber
Wing - Fox squirrel tail
Cheeks - Jungle cock (optional)

Matane Spé... (fabri-mouches.ca)

Ah yes...the Matane...the first river where I fished for Atlantic Salmon and the place where I caught my first Atlantic Salmon.
A beautiful 10 pound fish in Le Grand Tamagodi Pool.

Thanks for the memories Norm.

I was one of the fortunate people to be on the receiving end of Sandan's generous offer of sharing the yak wool he had acquired.  My part of the bargain was to post a picture of a fly tied with the yak wool.  So here is a Sparkle Dun that I tied today using FTD Water Mix fiber in Black Nose Dace for the tail, the same in a mixture of Silver Baitfish and Dark Brown for the wings and the lighter yak wool for the body.  I'm very much a novice at this hobby and picked something fairly simple so as not to showcase my low skill level.  Though I've been checking out this forum for the last year and a half I have not posted here before.  Despite that, I've learned a great deal from the accomplished tyers that post here regularly and for that I am very grateful.

20230927_143628.thumb.jpg.2a9f3df7f0e25692b72406f63a2065ff.jpg

Thank you both!  I enjoy this hobby immensely - despite being pretty old......I had never gotten "into" fishing of any type, always been active in shooting sports, but never fishing.  An old Army buddy literally got me "hooked" on fly-fishing when he came to visit and it was a short step from fly-fishing to fly tying.  Have always "loaded my own" when shooting, and it seemed like a natural extension to tie my own flies as well.

3 hours ago, SlimJim97 said:

a fly tied with the yak wool

That's nice.

More like a variation on Betters' Usual, to my eye, than a Sparkle Dun, but that which we call a rose ...

Thanks for posting, nice use of the material. 

1 hour ago, niveker said:

More like a variation on Betters' Usual, to my eye, than a Sparkle Dun, but that which we call a rose ...

I'm sure that, being very much a novice as noted above, there are a great many nuances of patterns that my eye doesn't pick up.  The video I was following to tie the Sparkle Dun was one of those done by Tom Rosenbauer and I thought I was following it pretty closely, but it's certainly possible that I made the pattern look like something else.

637708595_TanFoxPoopah14.thumb.jpg.0d17099c2a5eb4ad2e25f9b921623c35.jpg

Tan Fox Poopah

Hook: # 14 Nymph

Bead: 7/64" Copper

Wire: .015 Lead Free

Thread 8/0 Tan Veevus

Underbody: Opal Mirage Tinsel

Body: Tan Ultra Chenille

Rib: Small Copper Wire

Legs Hungarian Partridge

Antenna: Wood Duck Flank

Head: Brown Ostrich

Hey Slim, I didn't mean my comment as a criticism, only my own observation.  Your fly looks great and I'd be happy if it fell off my vise. 

9 minutes ago, niveker said:

Hey Slim, I didn't mean my comment as a criticism, only my own observation.  Your fly looks great and I'd be happy if it fell off my vise. 

No offense taken niveker!!  This is a learning experience for me and I truly would like to know what I need to do differently to do a better job.