Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Compara-Dun question

Getting set for the white fly hatch and since I don't have crap for hackle right now I was thinking of tying some compara-duns. My question is for size 12-16 hooks, how many strands of deer hair should be used for the wing? Can I use deer hair for the tail too?

OLB

You most certainly can use deer hair for the tail. On comparadun patterns, I have always tied a split tail as it makes the fly a little more stable on the water. Kind of like a catamaran.

I also like to tie some Comparaduns with polypro or antron sparkle yarn. This makes a very nice wing.

As to how many strands to use for the wing, that is a personal preference. How much can you work with until the stuff becomes unmanageable. Remember you are just giving the fly a "wing profile".

Hope this helps.

Kyle

OLB, when i tie a comparadun, the amt of deerhair in the wing is about the size of two wooden matchsticks or so. You just need enough to make the wing look good when you fan it out.

For tails, yes you can use deer hair, either as a straight tail or split. you can also use sparkle yarn ofr z-lon as a tailing material. Micro fibets are also pretty good, you probably already got some there, try using the fibers from a synthetic paint brush.

The white fly hatch is pretty much over here in western pa, but i was slamin the smallies when it was goin on, good luck fishin the hatch there.

Hi OLB,

Yes, you can certainly use deer hair for your tail OR just about anything else as other members have suggested. The formula I use for the quantity of hair in the wing is a clump of fibers twice as big around as the outside circumference of the hook eye - more on a size twelve and less on a size sixteen. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

All what has been said by the other contributors is correct. For me it depends on the type of water how thick I make the wing. Fast water, heavier wing. I also ty Compara Duns without a tail, and then I don't mind if the back dips in the water, if so it's nice to ty in an egg-sac or so! The variations on the theme they just don't end.

Happy trailing.

Sjo

Been tying like a madman tonight, and I have been running int a problem. The deerhair breaking. Why? The only thing I've found to help is instead of tying it in so the tapered ends are the wing tips is to reverse the bundle so theres a little more meat to work with. Any suggestions?

Alex, the only thing i can think of is that your doing a combo of too little deerhair and too much thread tension, and cutting the hair.

What kind of thread are you using?

Are you putting a lot of tension on the thread?

When i tie a comparadun, i just use 6/0 or 8/0 (depending on the size of the fly) and only enought tension to hold the hair in place and flare it out , not enough to cut the hair. Remember, you going to put some dubbing in front of the hair to help stand it up so you dont need the thread to do all the work. (after all, your not spinning hair on a bassbug here biggrin.gif )

If the thread is cutting the hair, you could thy to unwind it a bit, so it would lay flatter on the hair, but i found when i do this, the thread become a lot weaker, and may break when snuging the hair.

Is the deerhair damaged in some way to make it unsuitable for comparaduns?

Maby if you post a pic of what your doing may help us solve your problem.

Is it bleached hair? Bleached hair sometimes will break off if it was not properly bleached as it will become very brittle.

I agree with atroutbum about the thread. The smaller you can get by with the better. The only other time I had trouble with the fine comparadun type hair was when I was experimenting with Kevlar and it definitely will cut through your hair.

Again, watch your thread pressure and use the proper thread. Make your wraps next to each other rather than on top of each other when you tie the hair down.

Kyle