Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Maybe a little too much PSI

At first I thought they over-did the starting fluid trying to re-seat the bead, LoL, but it doesn't look like there is a rim on that tire.   

That’s a two piece rim once popular on military vehicles and implements of husbandry’s. The tires are so thick that they cannot be stretched over a one piece rim with the bead seat part of the rim so the outer bead is a separate ring. There also were 3 piece rims but I never saw one of those. They’re notorious for killing tire changers when being aired up. In the army they use to have these massively strong racks the tires would be rolled in when being aired up. The racks were strong enough to prevent the ring and tire from killing you in the event the ring was incorrectly installed. 

I've seen the tire and rim put in a steel cage before airing them up.  Obviously it can be a deadly event.

The guy was lucky to walk away.

When I worked for a trucking company we had to make sure the tire was mounted with the ring facing the trailer in case of a blow out. That kept the ring from flying off and hitting a vehicle next to the trailer. As mentioned, we filled those tires inside a cage or at least with the ring on the opposite side. Plus the tires were mounted to the hub with wedges that the lug nuts tightened into. The wedges were under a lot of tension so you never took a lug nut completely off without relieving that wedge by backing the nut off flush with the stud and rapping with a hammer. The wedge would pop out against that nut and loosen up all the rest.