Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

If I could, I would

I would love to go, afraid I might not want to come back. my wanderlust took a break this year I ordered a new truck (three month before the strike) hopeful for next few years road trips. 

I can but I won’t. After being in what I believed to be an almost air disaster in a small turbo prop plane I vowed to never again get in a small plane. I’m not much of a fan of big planes either and I know big commercial Jets are less capable of flight then smaller planes but I still ain’t ever getting into a small plane. Not for scenery, not for fly fishing, not for trout, nope not for nothing. It’s why I’m buying an RV. If I can drive there, maybe one day. If I have to take a small plane I’m out. 

11 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

an RV

I strongly agree looking at the expensive but once in a lifetime ferry hoping trips from WA to AK with a return via to Alaskan Highway or driving both ways. fishing is not the primary reason of planning but it is strongly on the agenda of activities. 

That'd be nice, an amazing experience no doubt. 

30 or so years back I left Santa Fe, NM to visit my folks on the East Coast.   From there I drove up to Alaska.  Left at the end of April, took my time, up through Maine to Quebec, across the top of the Great Lakes (some of the most beautiful country on the whole trip, IMO).  Spent a few months travelling around Alaska, up the Haul Road to Deadhorse on Prudhoe Bay, taking the ferries here and there, by September I was in Anchorage.  Made a few friends who were pilots, went up in a single prop a number of times.  Always made me air-sick.  Spent two years in Anchorage, got out just in time before what would have been my third Winter.  Sold what little I had and flew back home.  

I often think about doing that again.  

Nice post, Norm.