Fly Tying

Green Highlander

IMG_2816.thumb.jpeg.061eb3bf2d5450ac3cbb5034940cc77a.jpeg

After the Lady Amherst I wanted to continue with another classic fly.  I’m not quite as pleased with this one and I forgot the horns but since I’m still new to this so I wanted to share in hope of some constructive feedback before it gets the rip. 

I think the head came out better on this one but  the wing didn’t turn out the way I hoped.  It’s a little short, angled weird and my tips didn’t line up all that well.  If anyone has some tips on getting a better “hump”  on the wing it would be much appreciated.  

One of my take aways is that I should go down in hook size to accommodate my materials, I don’t have the barb length to go to a 3/0 like I thought so likely a size 2. I got loads of those with an eye and the craft store turkey feathers will allow some practice while I source some feathers with longer vanes.  

I also came to realize I need to leave at least the width of the wing past the tie in to avoid issues when tightening.  In the photo below I used a copier so I can layout my slips before marrying.  The wing pictured didn’t survive the tie in(golden pheasant didn’t stick) but the barbs length was the same.   IMG_2810.thumb.jpeg.94ec17efccb9b53ad69ec7bd02f1166c.jpeg
You can see it was only about as long as the hook and I didn’t have enough to tie in leading to the wing being short in the final one.  I’ve saved the failed wings and I’ll tie up some mixed wing versions to fish with. Beginning to see why those are more common. 

Sorry for the rant and thx in advance for any advice.  

Arthur,
First I wanted to send you this web site you might enjoy  www.asfi2024.com  WAY too far for me to attend, but the best classic salmon fly tyers from all over the planet will be there. I don't know how far that Calgary is from wherever you are in Ontario, but nevertheless check it out.
Cheers,
George

PS - I will give your Green Highlander a little thought then offer a tip or 2 in an effort to answer your concerns...and I may do so in a pm.

5 hours ago, SalarMan said:

www.asfi2024.com  WAY too far for me to attend, but the best classic salmon fly tyers from all over the planet will be there.

Very neat, sadly I’m already booked that weekend or I would consider making the trip.  I’m sure I would learn a great deal and get to meet some of the people I’ve been discovering.  I met Whisky Jin on the river once but that was before I caught the tying bug and I was more interested in his bamboo rod.  It’s pretty amazing what he produces tying in hand. 

Okay...here goes. I'm going to try and explain about the hump technique as best I can, plus I am going to try and attach a video that may help. I hope it isn't too big to come through.

I'm also going to attach a couple of photos that should give you an idea how much extra length you need for mounting the married part of the wing. Along with the photos I will recommend that thread size can help control head size. I tie my classic with Veevus 10/0 and make a point of flattening the thread to further control bulk. When tying in materials the number of wraps is also crucial. If 2 wraps hold the material, don't add a third! For appearance purposes be sure the various parts align correctly. Example...the lower bar of the tippet should be directly over the ostrich herl butt. You'll see that in the pictures of a Popham from a few years ago. Also note the underwing has been narrowed so as to not interfere with the main wing as little as possible. The single thing I would stress...keep tying, don't hurry and subtlety not brut strength is a great way to set materials that turn out well.

Good luck, stick with it and enjoy the journey.DSC_0026.thumb.JPG.1200d0545b86dc399a5935d6052c818b.JPGDSC_0022.thumb.JPG.8dada1d2063dc4b61801db1c532965cd.JPG1751641363_DSC_0032(2).thumb.JPG.3808bac4a1a93281533ac5e483510b8d.JPG2.1 Underwing-Wing and Shoulder_x264_WMV V9.wmv2.1 Underwing-Wing and Shoulder_x264_WMV V9.wmv

OOPS...I will get to humpig the wing, just give me a little thinking time on how to explain.

IMG_2834.thumb.jpeg.ca9e82911ac172ef65cf209b9e62a7b2.jpeg
I’m happier with this one tho I started the head too far back on this 1/0 hook and the topping is sitting a little too tall. 

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

I'm going to try and explain about the hump technique as best I can, plus I am going to try and attach a video that may help. I hope it isn't too big to come through.

Thx George, this is very helpful.  Sadly I couldn’t access the videos but the pictures and note about aligning materials are very helpful.  I do leave the tippet intact and it is a pain to line up the overwing on either side.  Your method to thin the tippier makes a ton of sense once I see it.  I’m using Venus 12/0 now and that’s really helping to reduce bulk. 

I find I learn a few things on each one and I’ll keep at it tho I plan to slow down the tying process.  I’ve been too quick to move on to the next step. Next one I’ll likely take a break between materials and take a little more time to line up.

I found some guides on proportions and added a grid in half hook gap blocks for the lay out process. Need put that under glass for water falling the topping and tail too.  

The feed back is much appreciated 

Screenshot_20240406-152827.thumb.png.86ff87df8890ad4f6d3a12d884170d92.png

Now that is a perfect wing tie-in, married or not. Envy is erupting through my eye sockets. 

chugbug27...my hat size just increased a bit...quite a bit 😁

Okay...I'll do the best I can on shaping the wing...from a right hand tyer's point of view.

I put the 2 sides together and with my left hand I gently hold them close to the middle of the fibers that will make up the finished product. I the carefully stroke the feathers toward the butts pulling them down to form as much curve that looks right to me. This depends on the pattern and what happens to appeal on any given day. The fly currently in the vise will have a subtle curve toward the head and the tail end will be curved gently upward obviously different than the Popham in the photos posted.

Hope this helps. It is hard to just put in print. You might want to do some research on the internet, YouTube is probably your best source.

George

21 hours ago, Heff2 said:

IMG_2834.thumb.jpeg.ca9e82911ac172ef65cf209b9e62a7b2.jpeg
I’m happier with this one tho I started the head too far back on this 1/0 hook and the topping is sitting a little too tall. 

Knowing the short comings is half the battle 

Thx George, i think I was missing the shape before tying step.  This does make sense to me.  I did find some videos from Rich Lamonte that help with this.  

That Popham you tied earlier this year was incredible.  It may be a few years but that is something for me to aspire too.  

thx George

This is a GH I tied ?? years ago. I'm attaching it to show you that the wood duck and teal sides should me married. Easy to do and for some reason those feathers are most cooperative...unlike the biggest pain in the ass...golden pheasant or its larger version amgold pheasant.

10994281_DUH5.thumb.JPG.137eceabfb8bc4282895ff7e6bdc2747.JPG

Very nice, thank you for this example.    My shoulder slips started married but I think I needed to choose a better slip of teal or take more care tying the horns.   The teal wasn't sticking to itself very well.  Golden Pheasant sure is a PIA, I find the feathers I have start to roll on themselves and act funny if I’m more than 3 barbs wide.  I haven’t made it to Amgold yet but I just ordered some Amherst tails and it looks like one set may be a highbrid. I had one Amherst tail I used tying intruders but it’s only suitable for lefts.   Sourcing the materials, at a price I’m  willing to pay, is nearly as hard as the tying, lol