Fly Tying

9 hours ago, Heff2 said:

After a little preening IMG_2879.thumb.jpeg.aa6c722beae3bd68cb5a0060dbf6e1a1.jpeg

Picture did not come through...

Here is the pic, couldn’t seem to fix the other post 

IMG_2879.jpeg

12 hours ago, Heff2 said:

Here is the pic, couldn’t seem to fix the other post 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Much better ! Nice taper on body, hackling/ throat. Are nice. Be mindful of tag section, ( a little chubby), Question, are u using silk? 

Thx Bruce , there is a noticeable bump at the tip I’ll try thin out and taper into the butt better.  I’d also like to get the roof and shoulder to the butt  to allow for a better side.  

I’m not using silk, yet, on the list to upgrade behind Teal, Wood Duck and larger Bronze Mallard.  I can’t find a single ply silk local or I would pick up a yellow and black.   I’m considering which other colours I want before I opt to pay for shipping.  

Okay...I agree with Bruce's tips and assessment on this tie. I would add that it seems you tied the wood duck in curve down. It should be tied in curve up and married to the teal then shaped to match the curve of the wing as close as possible. One note about those 2 elements. ALWAYS leave the rachis attached to the selected fibers until tied in place.

I suggest John McLain at www.feathersmc.com for your silk floss purchases. Once you tie with good Japanese silk, nothing else is ever the same. It may seem a little expensive, but for just under $11 USD you get 60 meters of material. You can tie a lot of flies with that much floss.

Keep up your efforts...you are doing well.

23 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

ALWAYS leave the rachis attached

ah ha, thank you for this tip.  Even with the membrane still attached I found these slips fragile.  Other than yellow, are there other colours you gents suggest I get out of the gate?  I do plan to place an order with John but one big order is the goal.  

4 minutes ago, flytire said:

WOW...they look super. Never tried them, but that may have to change. Thanks Norm!!

I checked them out and they just may be a LITTLE thin for tying uses and lots of unneeded colors...but at that price worth a shot.

Heff2 - I hope this comes through. A few years ago a buddy of mine tried to get a classic salmon tying group together. We started meeting in an open room at my country club. There were a dozen of us. By request I put together a simple basic few pages to help the beginners get started. I just reread it and it still ring true. I did edit it in a few spots.

Let me know if it arrives okay please.

Basic Classic Salmon Fly Material List (2) (1).docx

1 hour ago, flytire said:

an alternative

Thx Norm, I'll check it out 

49 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

together a simple basic few pages to help the beginners get started

Thank you,  this is very helpful.  Do you have tips on Bustard Subs?  I have several types of natural turkey and a ton of Lady Amherst centre tails. I was thinking about dying some of them as Bustard eludes me.  

3 hours ago, SalarMan said:

WOW...they look super. Never tried them, but that may have to change. Thanks Norm!!

I checked them out and they just may be a LITTLE thin for tying uses and lots of unneeded colors...but at that price worth a shot.

they are 2 stranded silk floss

rich lamont mentioned them a i think he liked the floss in one of his videos

18 hours ago, Heff2 said:

Thank you,  this is very helpful.  Do you have tips on Bustard Subs?  I have several types of natural turkey and a ton of Lady Amherst centre tails. I was thinking about dying some of them as Bustard eludes me.  

McLain used to have bustard subs...but unfortunately that is no longer the case. Other than him I wouldn't know where to go. Before I got real Kori, I used a speckled cinnamon turkey tail I had as a sub. The late great Harry Darbee showed me a lot of his personal collection of materials so I could do my best to sub for the real deal early on, and that was a MAJOR help.

32 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

speckled cinnamon turkey tail

That I have, I’m sure I’ll find some real stuff somewhere along the way.  Likely best I continue to practice with subs anyways. 

thx George, I figured the Kori King might have a suggestion.