Fly Tying

Whatcha think?

I'm not gonna bash it.. looks like it would catch fish. Personally I wouldnt call it "art", but i know alot of guys who would fish'em in a second. I'd probably tye with it.. by request.

I wouldn't use them but not so much because of a its a fly its not a fly issues - just because I believe that a bunch of saddle hackle or bucktail would move a lot better in the water.

Fly fishing's biggest advantage is the ability to mimic life better than a spin fisherman can - this seems to me like its compromising that advantage to produce something that looks better to humans.

Silly Humans flies are for fish...

Just a reminder that gimmicky materials, though well thought out and probably very productive, are focused toward hooking fishermen more than fish. I'd think a trimmed to shape hackle quill would offer as much profile, if absolutely necessary. <_<

I find it interesting to see the divisions among the group--our "Old Gaurd" (salmon tyers) think its an abomination, our "New Gaurd" (realistic tyers) think "why wouldn't I use that?", and the rest of us just want to know if it catches fish! I guess it really gets down to the crux of what exactly is fly tying/fly fishing.

I just finished a couple of bass poppers as featured in the latest Fly Tyer, and while I am proud of my creations, in the end I felt more like a "lure-maker" than a "fly tyer," not that the experience wasn't worthwhile and enjoyable, but that it just didn't "seem right."

Will I ever use such a product? Maybe..if I get bored, and want to try something different, but until then I've got bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

Like the golf industry, the fishing industry is continually pushing the envelope regarding equipment, materials etc.. I've only been tying for about 3 years and I can't keep up with all the different materials and gadgets. Many of my "ties" are compromises. If a pattern calls for XYZ materials, I might have to use XYB. Personally, I'm not in a competition when I tie. If my tying ever becomes a competition, I'll stop. There are some pre-form materials that are useful, to me at least. Usually, they are materials that I cannot cut or re-create no matter how hard I try...But, I also don't care if I catch fish. I just enjoy being out on the water...yes, even loosing flies in trees is fun :cheers:

Now...who has a good salmon pattern for me to tie. One that uses olive green maribou, OG chenille and some blue smolt krystal flash :dunno:

Tight liines...SullyTM

A couple of posts above hit my feelings about it. For me it's not the material it is the fact that it is premade. Tying a fly, to me, is an accomplishment. I feel proud when I look at a finished fly that I constructed myself. Personally, I have yet to touch the premade popper bodies but I regularly shape them out of balsa. They defiently take a little longer but I get that "proud" feeling when I see it finished and am happy with the outcome. So with that said I would probably consider using a tail like that if I went through the trouble of cutting it out myself.

Everybody ties flies for different reasons. Some people tie flies out of necessity and are only interested in catching fish, while others think of tying flies as an artform. Some people believe in only using traditional natural materials, while others are always on the lookout for any new synthetics that hit the market. I guess I am somewhere in the middle. Like I mentioned before I have been "tying" egg flies with premade yarn balls but that falls into a "necessity" for me because my main focus is catching fish with those flies.

I think it is great that everybody has different feelings about stuff like this, that is the way it should be.

The way I see it, synthetics do nothing but expand the tyers creativity and open doors to new patterns. I use lots of craft foam, packing material, etc when I tie. However, where I think it ceases to become "artful" or creative is when I can just buy somthing, stick it on a hook, and I'm done....that's not fly tying in my opinion. Yeah, the premade popper bodies are great and those minnow tails are pretty neat as well. However, creating something, building it from just raw materials, and fooling a fish with it is what it's all about. That's my 2 cents.

~Harris

I don't think I'd use them. It looks like one of those stickbaits that baitfisherman use. I don't have any rule on what I use, I try to play it by ear, but I'd probably let that one go.

Joru

I don't have a problem with them with them producing and selling prefabbed parts or people buying them! Not all people are as talented as we are and they may need a little help. I like to make everything that I can myself. I fell better about my flies.

BFR

Smallie's right,

To each his own. The strength of this forum has been different people with different skills and different interests that all revolve around fly tying.

In different locals and for different fish we find a broad range of materials and paterns.

We maintain the bond as fly tiers even when we disagree as long as we are not disagreeable. That's why most of us are still active and feel at home here, it's called respect.

Personally, I love tying traditinoal flies with natural materials, I also love using synthetics. I don't get a thrill putting premade fuzz ball on a hook or tying premade minnows to a size 8 3x. . . .

But, when I'm out on a stream and frustrated by a cold blooded, non-responsive, pea-brained trout or bass, I'll tie just about anything on that hook if it works and is legal.

Conehead

Hi Will & group,

I've watched this one with interest through out the day and see the group is split on the issue - I would have been surprised if they were not. The discussion is not unlike some of those about Gary LaFontaine's introduction of Antron gass bubbles to the fly fishing world in the 80's OR the aweful bead heads when they first hit the US from Europe in the early 90's. This is one of the things I love about my sport/job/life's work. It is ever changing based on new materials and the creative minds of the people who dream of ways to use them.

I am surprised no one mentioned Marc Petijean's plastic scoop on the streamers in the second picture. That is one of the most awesome additions to a fly I've seen in years (too bad it so expensive). It makes a fly swim in the water column like a Flat Fish spinner plug without the twisting/twirling in the current often the result of trying to get a fly to wiggle side-to-side. I'm interested in what all of you think about the addition of a plastic scoop to make your streamer flies act more life like. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Al...There are folks in my neck of the woods who won't touch those plastic scoops with a 13 foot spey rod. I'm tempted to give them a try, however, they are expensive and I haven't purchsed any yet. A fly guy I know swears by them, especially when used with some large chenille...Again, new materials for those who want to try something new.

Share what you know...Learn what you don't. SullyTM

I have not tried the scoops yet. The only reason why I haven't tried them is they seem to be a major pain to cast. I couldn't imagine throwing something that gives you so much resistance, but they must work because I have read that alot of people like them. I guess I may have to see for myself.

I know this may be out of wack , but do you all go out in the woods and harvest your tying materials or buy them. Dont be afraid of a new product, it was made for us!!

Al I have never used one of those scoops, but could see anything that makes a fly have more action being part of my arsenal. I think contrasting colours and action in a fly such as a streamer are what make them so efective in the first place.