Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly~by~night

dropper flies

Heya gang, I was sitting here at the desk and had a question i am shure many know the answer to.

Question is where do you tie in a dropper line and what knot is used to do so? Would i create a loop for my topwater fly and use a cinch for bottom fly? Sugestions/advise are needed...thanks again for any replys-jason

For me one of two ways, when I tie on my tippet I use a blood knot and leave one of the tags 8-12 inches long or I just tie a dropper to the bend of the hook on my dry.

Bob

I use #1 in flytire's photo array with a clinch knot both to attach the dropper and at the bend of the forward fly. It's the only way I've ever used a dropper and it's been successful.

Is there some condition that makes one better over the other?

-Bamboo

HI Bamboo,

Personally I think it depends on how you're fishing and what kind of presentation you're trying to achieve. I typically use the bloodknot method as I fish dries or stuff in the surface film most of the time. You can vary the position of dropper fairly easy this way and either bounce the dropper fly high while the bottom fly can be quite some distance away and in the surface film. Or a dry nymph combo works alright too and your dropper can act as your indicator. I guess you could do the same with both set ups but my preference is to have 4-5' between flies.... don't know why I prefer this but I just do, and it seems like it would cast better rather than having 4-5' of tippet tied to the other fly but I could be wrong on this.

Jeff

Depending on how much droppers I want I begin with a long tippet. I sometimes fish with one dry fly and three nymphs, so I then need three droppers. I make a very large loop in the tippet and cut this loop 4 inches from the knot. That makes the first dropper. I then make a second loop in the tippet making the knot where I want the second dropper to be situated and cut the loop at 4 inches from the knot, and so on and so forth.

Never failed me until now. :headbang:

Sjo

I use #1 for a double fly rig for salmon&steelhead.

#2 is best used for fishing a dropper nymph off of a large dry fly because it gives you a 90degree angle to the nymph from the dry.

#3 I have tried and really dont care for at all. If you use a improved clinch then its hard to get two knots on a small hook eye, and it puts the first fly at a weird angle.