Fly Tying
JoeFish

Which hand do you tie with?

What hand do you tie with?  

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BOTH!?

I'm right handed and most often twirl my bobbin and run my scissors with my right hand but what about all the stuff that's actually hard about fly tying? Placing materials, hand whip finishing, wrapping hackle, tinsel & floss (or turning a rotary), pinching and spinning dubbing. I'm just not sure one hand dominates the other when we're at this stuff.

But in the spirit of the debate: Right handed, shoot right, skate regular. The usual.

~jk

I write with my left hand but I tie with my right. To add to the confusion I shoot left-eyed and cast with my right hand and, like an earlier poster, I hold a fork with either hand.

I'm right handed, but tie left. When I started tying I didn't have a vise, so I held the hook with my right fingers (Carrie Stevens style) and wrapped with my left.

Now, and for many years, I tie with my scissors in my right hand, which speeds up my tying since I don't have to keep picking up the scissors. A tip I read somewhere.

Been tying that way ever since.

I can tie with my right or left hand . I'm anorexic :blink:

:hyst: Anorexic...

I tie with my right hand, left hand, my teeth...

I'm a righty though.

Mike

I'm right handed tie right handed but drink my beer with my left hand while tying. The funny thing is I cast single handed rods with both my left and right hand. I spey cast off both the left side and the right side. I should start to tie left handed just to keep things equal.

The funny thing is I cast single handed rods with both my left and right hand.

ibian, you need to get one of those hard hats with the built in beer holders and long straws like

you see people wearing at football games. It would free up your left hand for tying. :lol:

Someone, myself or anyone within 40 feet of me, would certainly end up with a hook in their ear

or eye if I ever tried casting left handed.

Mike

I am left handed, but when I started, I started tying with the vise pointing left, and wrapping material and thread counter clockwise. Someone unravelling one of my flies would think it was tied by a right handed tier. I didn't know I was wrapping in a "reverse" order until Jack Dennis pointed it out to me one night in a clinic. By then I had been tying that way for 25 years, still tie that way.

A long time ago, I had my neck or shoulder injured playing Rugby, For most of that summer, I couldn't cast with the left arm, so I learned to cast tolerabley well with my right hand. I still start out casting with the left, but often switch off when my neck starts to hurt. Really helps to be able to cast with either arm.

The funny thing is I cast single handed rods with both my left and right hand.

ibian, you need to get one of those hard hats with the built in beer holders and long straws like

you see people wearing at football games. It would free up your left hand for tying. :lol:

Someone, myself or anyone within 40 feet of me, would certainly end up with a hook in their ear

or eye if I ever tried casting left handed.

Mike

I started spey casting a really short time after I took up fly fishing and the guy who taught me couldn't stress enough how important it was to be able to cast off of both sides because you never know which direction the wind would be blowing etc... So I would start with a couple of casts off the right side, a couple off the left and so on. The next time I was out with the single handed rod I tried the same thing (without a hook at first), it was a little more challenging to do it but it gets better everytime I go out. If you try it don't go for distance just try and go for the control and the distance will come later.

ps. I have one of those hats and man do you get drunk fast.