Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
B.C.TroutHunter

Lookin' Back

With the annual Fly Tyer of the Year contest comes the probably inevatble topic of "did I make any progress in my tying skills this past year?". So lets hear how you guys think you have been able to advance your tying skills, and what ways you hope to improve it in the next year. :)

you first.

Well, this time last year, i didn't tie. I started in late March/early April, so anything i tied would be a major improvement. This year, i need to work on consistantcy, paying attention to the small details, and continuing to push my limits, even if they fall flat. I'm happy as long as i'm learning new things (or perhaps, more appropriately, "new to me" things).

now seriously..you first :P

Good Day,

All i have been doing is tie, tie, tie! When the shoulders and physicall therapiststs allow it that that is i can't fish for some time yet to come... sigh. But it does take time to heal. At any rate, tie, tie, tie.... I have been focussing latley on using unusual or off beat materials to tie some pretty cool flies. Results are encouraging and the subjecets seem to be resonding well to their new found existance,,, boohahahahaha,

Steelie

I became a member of this forum almost one year ago. It was a few months after the 04 ftoty contest.

I was in awe of all the great flies entered in that one and wondered if I could hold a candle to that kind of ability. I dont think I am that good of a fly tyer, never really following any set or developed patterns, except the few enterpretations that I have tried to come up with. I am sure somebody has done them before or something similar, but I can say that I had to create, with out reference, every knot and sequence of material to get the desired results of what I came up with. I am pretty proud of that.

As far as what direction do I want to head--- Well, I would like to get a couple of nice reference books and learn to tie productive patterns that have already been devoloped. Regular fishing flies that dont take 30-45 minutes or more to tie. I'm sure there are some out there, thats why I need a reference book.

I would also like to keep experimenting with new materials to help enhance the buggyness of flies that I already tie. Make them more appealing to not only the fish's eye but mine also.

And the biggest step I would like to take this year would be into the salmon-full dress realm of fly tying. To create master peices such as the ones in this years contest would be a dream come true. I think the best way to start that would be again more reference material and to start off easy. Little steps before giant leaps.

What a great site for inspiration and motivation in the world of fly tying

Thanks Will and team---I know what I'll be doing all year

Duckydoty

I actually started tying when I was a young pup, but stopped for one reason or another (smell of perfume and gasoline, perhaps). Didn't have the web as a source back then (the old days).Didn't stop annoying fish though. Started again, and became addicted, just like the rest of you guys.

When I started back up, my work looked pretty rough, but I can sure see an improvement. I'd credit the upswing to talking with other tyers and all the available sources - like this site, and tying a few flies EVERY DAY. Just like riding a uni-cycle; a lot easier with practice.