Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mcfly

Are you a geek?

By trade I'm an IT person so I see my fair share of geeks. I think I of all people would know since I work side by side at times with these strange creatures. At any rate I feel like I am being categorized as a "geek" due to my profession as an IT person and my small collection of computers at home that I often configure with differnt operating systems and applications. To me a geek is person who never sees the light of day, bathes once a month or less and speaks in binary 24/7.

Yes I am skilled at hooking you up, fixing your internet, telling you those obscure commands to make your poorly written windows programs follow your command but even so that will not, will never ever, put me in the poor socially skilled group called geeks!...

I've attached a picture of myself and my computer cluster as proof...

post-674-1140743438_thumb.jpg

post-674-1140743564.jpeg

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a geek. :help: I'm a CPA. An interesting night of reading consists of reading about changes in tax law or auditing standards. I roast my own coffee because I like to. For wild entertainment I tie flies and go fishing.

Mike

Embracing my geekness in Cadillac, MI

Nope I am not a Geek but I know many people who are. My roommate for one. He got bored one day so he build us a print server that sits in the living room, no more running out of ink. He is getting bored again so there is talk of either a DVR or a file server if he can get the parts from work.

Definatly not a geek. Only have one puter that I can hardly operate (way too advanced for me). I drive a wrecker for a living and get to tell people what dumb a$$e$ they are for the stupid things they try to do with their vehicles. They only game I play is Tetris on my 12 year old Game Boy. Hmm, maybe I a little old fashioned too. :D

Definatly not a geek. Only have one puter that I can hardly operate (way too advanced for me). I drive a wrecker for a living and get to tell people what dumb a$$e$ they are for the stupid things they try to do with their vehicles. They only game I play is Tetris on my 12 year old Game Boy. Hmm, maybe I a little old fashioned too. :D

People love been told what they did is dumb right after they wreck their car. Nothing like adding insult to injury. :hyst:

Marty, ive seen you, that pic looks like what you want to look like

:P

You guys do realize that the very act of tying flies puts us in the neighborhood of geekdom.

I blog.

(I'm such a geek.)

But I do watch Ultimate Fighting so I ain't too far gone!

I'm only a geek in the wintertime. In the summer i'm too busy fishing and playing golf or basketball.

In the winter i turn into a geek, my days are spent playing video games, screwin around with photoshop for hours and watching lord of the rings or star wars for the 100 time that year!

Professional Geek!

In the most serious way. Arcane stuff like real-time signal processing software frameworks and enterprise-level system architectures, software product lines...

Fly fishing and tying is my favorite way I chill and decompress.

Nothing like focusing on getting the wings of a Rangeley streamer or a Catskill dry just right...or the theraputic feel of river water flowing over one's wader covered legs as a nice brookie pops up and grabs one's recently tied Red Quill from the surface foam!

By trade I'm an IT person so I see my fair share of geeks. I think I of all people would know since I work side by side at times with these strange creatures. At any rate I feel like I am being categorized as a "geek" due to my profession as an IT person and my small collection of computers at home that I often configure with differnt operating systems and applications. To me a geek is person who never sees the light of day, bathes once a month or less and speaks in binary 24/7.

Yes I am skilled at hooking you up, fixing your internet, telling you those obscure commands to make your poorly written windows programs follow your command but even so that will not, will never ever, put me in the poor socially skilled group called geeks!...

I work in IT too. I have one computer at home, rarely use it. Maybe.... Oh, a half hour a day. Check a few sites and my email and I'm out. After looking at computers all day, the LAST thing I get any joy out of is looking at them at home.

My name is Will, and yes, I am a geek but it was not always this way. Many years ago I was an athletic person and I never stayed indoors. Then one day I developed some severe shoulder problems and required sergury on both shoulders over the span of two years. The recovery took 9 months so by the time one was "healed" I had to get the other one cut on. For those two years I couldn't do anything so I thought it would be a good idea to get one of those contraptions called a computer and learn how to get on the internet. I got my girlfriend(now my wife) to show me how to get online and since I was into photography I thought I would build a website. I soon realized that I had a knack for coding and I jumped right into any new language I could teach myself and with a couple years landed a gig where I could write code all day long and get paid for it. When my shoulders got better I started fly fishing and then I had the wild idea to start my own fly fishing website.

-Will the geek(but not at heart).