Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Mixed Media(variation)

I was bored tonight and decided to do some experimenting. I started with the mixed media pattern that cornmuse entered into the database as a starting point. I decided for claws to add some burnt orange marabou and added three strands of barred pumpkin rubber legs on each side of the marabou.

I then worked my way up the shank and added a strand of the rubber legs on each side of the hook every 1/4". I then worked my thread back down toward the claws and made a dubbing loop with leech dubbing. Personally I think the best color there out there is the Platte River Special which is a nice light tan color. I also personally like all my craws to have a lighter colored body so the tan was perfect. The tricky part was dubbing the body and trying to weave around the legs that I put on the shank, it made it very difficult so I don't think I will be going that route again.

Lastly I put on a wing of rust colored arctic fox. I tried to make the wing extend back to the tip of the claws.

Anyway, I was just fooling around at the vise and this is what I came up with. I like the different shades of color for the claws and the wing and the leech dubbing gives it a nicely colored underbelly.

:dunno:

Real nice!

Just a thought on a crawdad pattern... anybody ever try having three rubber legs extend back (as you did), but tie a loop about a half inch from the end and pull it fairly tight to make the rubber flay a little bit? Then trim whatever appears to be the most "middle" rubber leg. That would give a nice claw look, I'd think.

Also, could the lead eyes be tied near the bend of the hook, so the whole thing would be backwards and scoot along like crayfish do? Would the eyes back there feel too "unbuglike" in a fish's mouth and make them spit it out?

I dunno. I'm pretty new to this, but that popped into my head while looking at your most excellent pattern.

Some people do put the lead eyes near the bend, it makes the fly run more level in the water. Personally I like the jigging action of the fly with the weight near the eye.

I'm a little confused by this question "would be backwards and scoot along like crayfish do?", this fly will swim backwards in the water like a real crayfish. :dunno:

Some people do put the lead eyes near the bend, it makes the fly run more level in the water. Personally I like the jigging action of the fly with the weight near the eye.

I'm a little confused by this question "would be backwards and scoot along like crayfish do?", this fly will swim backwards in the water like a real crayfish. :dunno:

Duh. Sorry. Had it turned around in my head. Makes sense on the eyes letting you jig it good.

Nicely done, Will! :headbang: That should fish nicely.

I agree with you regarding lighter body colors for crayfish imitations. Shedders and soft-craws are almost translucent with a light gray and orange cast to them. As they harded they darken significantly.

At this time of the year, try red painted dumbell eyes to imitate the eggs on the female craws.

Regarding claws, that's the last thing you want to accurately imitate on a crayfish fly. When a crayfish is startled it folds all its appendages together and swims backwards. The claws are not noticeable. Only a defensive posture from a male exhibits the chelea - and that is the least desireable posture for a crayfish to be in. Females have smaller, less developed chelea and it's a well researched fact that smallmouth are selective towards crayfish between 1 and 3 inches long, with small claws and in a soft shell state. The bigger the smallmouth, the more selective they will be towards these parameters (interestingly, the larger the smallmouth, the larger the baitfish they are selective towards. If you are fishing a streamer fly for smallies make it a BIG one!).

Regarding lead eye placement, this is one fly where you actually want the eyes close to the eye of the hook. The idea is two-fold. First, make the length of the fly as squared as possible to imitate the carapace of a crayfish. Second, make the "tail" of the crayfish (the eye of the hook) dip towards the bottom first. These animals swim backwards so they always approach the bottom tail first.

Again, nice job on the fly. I expect the next pic will be some big, tiger-striped beauty from a local creek. This will be a nice weekend to get out.

Joe C

See what you get when you ask a dumb question here???

A master class explanation of imitative fly tying and fish foraging tendencies!

That's why I love this board.

Thanks much.

Joe, that is one thing that I think we will always disagree on(which is OK). The crayfish flies that I fish and feel confident in all have well pronounced claws. I have fished creeks in this area all my life but only the last 5 have I been fly fishing. I have fished with and seen crayfish fleeing all my life. Anyway, I personally use the claws as a way of creating action. My claws don't stick out to the sides and they are streamlined with the rest of the fly for the exact reason you mentioned. I wont fish flies like clouser's crayfish, they are just to "stiff" for my liking. IMO the bass are simply attracted to the action of the claws as it comes swimming by.

Maybe claws suit my fishing style and the water that I fish. I know your approach works for you and mine does for me. I caught double digit fish over 16" last year and my best was 18.5" and most of those came on the crayfish fly with big rabbit strip claws so it obviously does well for me. I guess that is the beauty of fly fishing, because we can tie our own flies we can fish with something that suits our style and taste. :dunno:

Anyway, I personally use the claws as a way of creating action. My claws don't stick out to the sides and they are streamlined with the rest of the fly for the exact reason you mentioned. I wont fish flies like clouser's crayfish, they are just to "stiff" for my liking. IMO the bass are simply attracted to the action of the claws as it comes swimming by.

We're actually imitating the same things. When the rabbit strips fold, they imitate the folded legs and claws, not the defensive posture. It's stiff claws that remain open and hard that kill the effectiveness of the fly. You see, we actually agree

:hyst:

Joe C.