Fly Tying
Blues Brother

Exam Time

All right, you guys know what time of year it is...no trout season opened about a month ago :rolleyes: , it's final exam time! I've got Geometry, Biology, and Spanish 2 coming up. For those of you in high school or college, good luck on all your exams. Trust me, sometimes you need a little luck. For those of you that have no exams...I envy you. <_< ... :P

~Bryce

I'm not too sure about that smalliehunter. I thought being a grown up was much easier then where I'm at now... back in school at 35 yrs. old. I really have a new appreciation for what these kids are going through.

Good luck to you blues.

I have Calculus 4, Differential Equations (calculus 5), Vector Mechanics 3, Thermodynamics, and Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Theory. Oh yeah, I'm moving this week.

Good new is, I'll have two weeks off before starting my coop job in Perry Ohio. Anyone want to fill me in on some good fishing holes up there? I'll be there until September.

greifs

Good luck, Bryce. Knock 'em dead.

I, too, know what it's like to be going back to school after 30. I really enjoy it, but I wish I was able to go to school only. It's hard having a full time job and a family at home then throwing school in on top of it, but I manage. I'm just not able to take on the courseload that I would like, and it frustrates me because I will have to go to school longer because of it.

Do good on your exams, Bryce.

Greifs,

remember this from the 5 minute engineering university...

(I hope I got this right...been 30 years...)

Vector calc: just like calc 1, but uses script df(xy)/dx instead of regular...

Only 2 important Diff Eqs, one is D^2f(x) + Df(x) =K which is Ae^-(jwx+phi) (think damped complex cosine, like a piano or violin...)

and Df(x)=k which is e^-kx (think thermo, exponential decay)

vector mechanics: they don't make a wrench that points in 2 directions (see calc 4), get a vector toolbox

Thermo: h is entropy, which explains why your dorm room looks the way it does (universe tends towards lowest energy state which is max entropy = max disorganization)

Nuke reactor: tic Don't touch tic THAT tic tic tic Knob tic tic tic tic ! --oooh , it glows!

;)

-E

Greifs,

remember this from the 5 minute engineering university...

(I hope I got this right...been 30 years...)

Vector calc: just like calc 1, but uses script df(xy)/dx instead of regular...

Only 2 important Diff Eqs, one is D^2f(x) + Df(x) =K which is Ae^-(jwx+phi) (think damped complex cosine, like a piano or violin...)

and Df(x)=k which is e^-kx (think thermo, exponential decay)

vector mechanics: they don't make a wrench that points in 2 directions (see calc 4), get a vector toolbox

Thermo: h is entropy, which explains why your dorm room looks the way it does (universe tends towards lowest energy state which is max entropy = max disorganization)

Nuke reactor: tic Don't touch tic THAT tic tic tic Knob tic tic tic tic ! --oooh , it glows!

;)

-E

I'll have to remember those for when I get to those classes.

Griefs, what flavor of engineering are you studying? Looks like either mechanical or nuclear. I'm studying mechanical. I did enough nuclear stuff when I was in the Navy.

Nice advice E... any rules for Laplace Transformation? It's killing me. And tell my mechanics teacher about the wrench only in two directions, he seems to think everything is built on a multi axis platform with angular accelerations and velocities everywhere. And I now have an explanation as to why my desk looks the way it does. That's the way the universe wants it.

I'm actually going for a dual degree. BS in Mechanical and a Masters in Nuclear. UC has a fairly new program that lets you begin graduate work before you finish your BS. I'll be in school a whole 2 extra quarters to get my masters. Funny thing is, I was going just for my BS in mechanical until I found out about this program, so I figured, hell, a masters. Who cares what it is, I'll have a masters. Now, after taking classes, I prefer Nuclear over mechanical.

Terry Lee. There's no way I could do this if I had other obligations. I was in a pretty good financial situation going in and haven't had to work too much. Co op job every other quarter helps as well.

off to class.

greifs.

Ooops, the general solution to the 2nd order Diff Eq is actually

D^2f(x) + Df(x) =K which is Ae^-(bx+j(wx+phi)) (think damped complex cosine, like a piano or violin...)

and also for vector mechanic, remember every mechanical engineer needs to know that F=MA and you can't push on a rope...

and LaPlace...hmmm... I think I recall the "s" plane

If I recall, most was looking up general solutions in some book, and doing algebra .... Also, in EE we generally don't use LaPlace and the s plane, except the controls theory guys, we use Fourier Transforms (yet another French mathematician). Vaguely remembering that stuff, there are x and s plane dualities such that remembering the formulas one way works swapping x and s, except for some factor.....

Super geeky here...

Anyway, the most important vector mechanics are the force of a really big brown trout pulling at about 2 lbs of force on a #3 tippet tied to a #4 WF fly line, using a 9 foot lever arm made of a helix of graphite with a modulus of 33000000. Analyzing the fly rod is done by integration by parts, across dx where x is going along the fly rod. Use modeling software. Alternatively one finds the Differential Equation for the force applied to the next infinitesmal section of fly rod (aha..there IS some use of this stuff...), which I believe is a 1st order Diff EQ. Hence the familiar curve imparted to your fly rod, where the force is exponentially distributed (may have additional factor due to increase in rod diameter and spring coefficient). Using vector mechanics, we can translate that into the incremental change in angle, and voila the curve of the fly rod!

Of course, as the professors say..."The details are left as an exercise for the student..."

Good luck!

There was a post on another forum about how someone wished that there were no teachers just TVs to teach. I figured that there should be a web address that you could just go to and learn then write your exams online. For free. Could you imagine all the money the yuppies would save.

Regardless, good luck on your exams. "ten years from now you will wish you had exams" Yea right 10 years from now you will wish it was recess

Thank God im done college. I get to shut off my brain at 5pm every weekday and hit the river or tie flies. My worst courses were differential equations and engineering statistics.

Well, I made it out in one piece. Today I only got my geometry score back and it was an A. :headbang: I'll have to wait until Monday for the scores of my others.

~Bryce

Oh, Redwings, ¿te hablas español?

E-

you are such a geek.

When I grow up I want to be just like you... or a fireman.

greifs

Blech, at grade 12 it gets worse. :P

Doin' Physics 12, Chemistry 12, LA 12, Math 12.

Studying to be either a Physical or Chemical Engineer *mad grin and twitching eye*