Fly Tying
Waldog

What do you use for "Head Cement"

90% of the time I use Zap-A-Gap, the rest of the time I use 5 minute epoxy. While a good whip finish will hold for most applications, when fishing for toothy fish you need the glue to keep the thread anchored in the inevitable eventuallity of teeth cutting one or more wraps, and the glue also adds cut resistance.

Group,

tidbit here.

I use Sally Hansons, nail polish, head cement--whatever is at hand most of the time.

A GOOD whip finish is usually enough: but the cement/sealer helps to hold it all together. You should cement. Not trying to tell anyone how to do it.

If you are fishing in the salt you REALLY need to cement or seal whatever you want to call it. Just do it---it is CHEAP insurance aganist that ever probable---Mr. Murphy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

tid

I primarily fish salt so I use any one of the "super" glues for head cement. If you've got a nice clean work area, it dries nice and shiney. If I need a little more "float" to the finish, I'll give final coat of guess what....

Sally Hansons.

I've been using a non-toxic head cement I picked up, but all the talk about Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails got me to thinking about trying it. So I picked some up.

I noticed that it's kind of "runny." I've used a bodkin for application, (a hat pin actually), but it still seems like I get a fairly large amount. Is this common?

Also, I tied a few bead head still water midges last night a wondered if this stuff would be better than using Zap-a-Gap to coat the body?

Thanks gang!

The only time I use any type of coating is when I'm tying flies that are gonna be fished for toothy critters, or if I'm tying an order for someone and they specificly request it. I just whip finish and it's good to go, I still haven't had a fly come apart on me, till I do, I doubt I'll change my ways

Since 90% of my tying is for the salt, where durablity is the primary issue, I use Dave's flexament for construction and two-ton epoxy for heads and for coating epoxy flies. Sally Hansen works fine for buggers, since they don't last long in the surf anyway.

the ouinnaniche(spelling?) that i fish for are hard fighters and have a habit of wrecking my flies, so i use pro-lac head cement, works wonders

Call me Old Fashioned, but I use Flexament. I still use super glue occasionally. I used it alot when I tied for bass. I tried clear nail polish once, but it didn't dry fast enough for me.

Tried the Loon Head Cement once, but the one I bought was really thick and didn't thin well. May have been a bad bottle.

***If you store all your tying materials together in one container and you use super glue as head cement, make sure you store the glue in a zip top bag to contain any accidental releases! Destroyed several patches of deer hair once from a spill.***

Depending on what's in front of me on the table at any given time, and the head size I'm looking for, I use Sally Hansen, Zap-a-Gap, 5-Minute Devcon, and Hard as Hull.

-- Bill