Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Bring on the Minnows

SWAP IS FULL!!!!!

The fall fever is almost here. As the big boys look to bulk up for the winter, they are looking for the bigger, more filling meals - bait fish. So here's the swap.

Any baitfish pattern

Meister plus 12, everybody sends a dozen flies

Flies due to meister 4 weeks from today - Sept. 26th

I myself am particularly interested in seeing patterns other than clousers, but I'm not totally ready to just eliminate them from the possibilities.

Fill it up!

Meister - Deeky - dace - DONE

1.Bead Head - RECEIVED

2.fish`n feind - tied down minnow - RECEIVED

3.FC - RECEIVED

4.Gray Squirrel - EZ Body minnow - RECEIVED

5.DaveMan - Thunder Creek style - RECEIVED

6.Batman - silver chub - RECEIVED

7.DNA - seabass pattern - RECEIVED

8.Worstcaster - polar hair minnow - RECEIVED

9.dafack01 - sheep shad variation

10.Big Todd - RECEIVED

11.Moushka - Egg sucking baitfish - RECEIVED

12.kerusso - shenks minnow - RECEIVED

I think a lot will be tied for fresh water because that's where most people are. But if you want to throw in a saltwater pattern, go for it. A lot of them cross over quite well. I am not ashamed to use a pattern other than how it was designed, especially if it catches fish.

I'm in, will send a pattern I use for seabass but I think any predator will be tempted to bite this one.

I'm in! I'm trying out a variation on Dave Whitlock's Sheep Shad at Cumberland River next weekend. I'm not using any weight and am tying it on a #2 Owner Offset-shank Worm Hook (for those not familiar, Owner makes the sharpest friggin hooks on the market). The worm hook rides hook point up, and the offset shank helps to keep the shad profile without having to spread the krystal flash over a dubbing ball. It won't sink exactly like a sheep shad, due to it not having any lead wraps on the hook shank, but too many effective streamers are unweighted and I want something that I can fish slowly in shallow water for Smallmouth as well. Overall it's a quicker tie than Dave's original Sheep Shad. Which for me is a good thing.

If weight needs to be added, I plan on adding nickel-silver coneheads on the tippet like a texas-rigged plastic worm. I have high hopes for this fly. If the "test" goes like I think it will, I'll be contributing some tweaked Sheep Shad.

I've thought about this for a while and finally decided I'd get in with a shenks minnow -- deadly on Smallies and Browns.

Kerusso