Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlines

St Croix VS TFO

I've got 3 St. Croix sticks, 2 purchased and the last one I built. I've had the 2 purchased ones for years and just built the other early last year. After using all of them, love 'em. Cast well and, more importantly, land the fish well ;). I've never a problem with customer service. My wife actually broke the tip off of one and they replaced it with a newer model for a very moderate price.

I've built 1 TFO for my Dad. 8'6" 5wt. He absolutely loves it. For larger bows on the Green in Wyoming, it works awesome. He's landed several in the 3-4 pound range with it and raves about how well it works. There is a bit of bias there, since I made it for him, though. I fished with it for about 15 minutes in Utah and landed a few 12-15" tiger trout. It felt good, but personally, I prefer a lighter rod.

I'll be purchasing another blank - same as my Dad's - and use it myself when fishing with a 5 wt.

I prefer going as light as I can, so the St. Croix I built is my rod of choice - 8'6" 3 wt. I'll have the TFO built by the time we hit the Green in July, so for a 5 wt., I'm sure that will be my rod of choice.

Is there such a thing as too many fly rods?

Is there such a thing as too many fly rods?

Yes ... but only if you can no longer store them safely.

The thing about TFO is the name is catching on and so the prices are going up along with it and I get the feeling it's just because they can. Now that said, they have always had a pretty good blank through the series, if they lacked it may have been in components early on. That may have changed and they are catching up hardware, plus time and inflation move on as well..

Saint Croix has always been a stand up rod maker with pretty decent components . I own several, between fly, salt and fresh spinning and never had a problem with any of them. I'll tell ya, I think the majority of the salmon I've caught have been on a lowly St Croix Imperial 6 wt and a 7/8 because my heavy fishing for them was back when that's what I could afford. I still use that 7/8 though mostly for bass now, even after owning Sage and T+T rods later in life.