Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tightlines

St Croix VS TFO

Today I bought a Temple Forks Outfitters rod (10ft 8wt). When I held this rod and then held a st coix I couldnt tell a difference. The St Croix legend had a bit more action but not much more.

I bought the TFO because someone I trust recomonded it over a St Croix.

I will get out and cast it tomorrow and see how I like the feel of it, but I was curious what others thought of the TFO rods and if maybe those same people had St Croix (legend) rods and how they felt the two compared to each other.

Sincerely,

Chris

I have the Legend Elite and looked and casted at everything prior to buying it. The St. Croix did cast better in my hand than the TFO, but thats not to say the TFO is not better for you! If you like the rod aand the action thats all that matters. You will like the 10ft rod, it makes mending and fighting large fish a whole lot easier!

I tried it out in the back yard today.

Very impressed with how much line I can get out effortlessly with this rod. Disapointed with how it roll casts.

Not sure if this is common with long rods and heavy lines, but I had to adjust my style to do something similar to a roll cast. I practiced on grass so maybe the resistance of the water will aid in the roll casting.

Chris

Carver made a good point. Don't totaly rely on some elses opinion on rods. Try them out if you can. Kinda like cars, it's what feels good to you, cuz you're the one using it.

Roll cast is not going to work that well on the lawn. You need to try it on the water. Are you going salmon fishing or getting ready for saltwater?

St. Croix rods are made in USA(if that matters to you)

TFO I heard are made overseas.

I know for a fact, st. croix has great warranty service, returning mine and my buddy's rods within a week of turning them in.

next one i but will be a st. croix.

Joe

yea the TFO rods are built over seas, but from what research I have done, the quality of korean/thaiwan/chinesse built rods has improved substantially in the past couple years.

I was very impressed with how little effort it took to put out 40 yards of line; even though I will be using this rod in the same manner as a noodle rod.

Getting ready for steelhead and if I hook up with the ocassional atlantic salmon I wont be disapointed ;)

Guess I will have to get out on the water and test the roll casting of this rod. My St. Croix legend roll casted quite well on the grass with little difference in the water (that I noticed anyways).

My friend said he finds it hard to believe that lefty would put his name on a rod he felt wasnt a quality stick....... whether thats true or not will be determined on the water.

Thanks again

Chris

This whole "built overseas" thing is a little iffy actually .. at least as far as TFO goes. I have 7 of the TFO's and wouldn't trade them for anything. I asked the president of TFO .. Rick Pope .. about it and he told me all it takes is 51% of the rod's components to be made overseas and the rod is considered that way. As far as warranty... I broke my TFO 2WT when I was fishing in the middle of nowhere on a trip to Wisconsin. I got it in the mail on a Tuesday morning. I got back to Arkansas that same week Saturday and the rod was repaired and waiting for me. 5 days from being mailed from the middle of nowhere to having it back in my hand. I'll take that kind of customer service anyday.

Mike

Just a little side-bar here about TFO. They have donated about 15 rods to troops in Iraq. There is someone there that is teaching fly-tying and flyfishing as a way to break the monotony. Rick Pope got the word and sent rods over. They also are involved in Casting For Recovery.

I've got a TFO Jim Teeny rod in a 6wt and its a KILLER rod. GREAT for fishing nymphs and streamers (makes sense since that's what Jim Teeny fishes with primarily). The 8wt was actually one of Fly Rod and Reel magazine's best bass bug rods.

You certainly won't find better rods south of the $600 price point than TFO. Not saying St. Croix rods aren't good. I've never casted a St. Croix fly rod (like their spinning and casting rods though), but I have no reason to assume they're not in the same league.

I'll give this much for a St. Croix. I have a bad, wear spot well into the graphite on the beefy end of the tip. I thought for sure it would explode on a salmon this weekend and never failed.

Over the summer I bought a 5 wt TiCr and love it. A dream to cast. This last month, I wanted to get a 6 wt with a fighting butt, to strip streamers, so I picked up the TiCr-X. Will bring it out to play this weekend and let you know the results.

Tightlines,

Just curious which model TFO did you get? They have several and seem to come out with new models each year.

I always find it interesting how different people view different rods. Couple of days ago I got the chance to fish with a group of guys and play with several different rods, and hear a lot of opinions - many of them deeply held.

Loved the rod, casted well. Even though it's rated extra fast, I expected it to be a little more firmer but I still liked it. Too bad (ha-ha) there were so many salmon in the PM that the browns were looking for cover or they'd get attacked for sure. Stripped for only a couple of hours during my 2 day trip and saw early on that the browns weren't going to come out and play with all the testosterone laden males ripping through the system.

I ran the fishing dept in a local sporting goods store here in Missoula, Mt for a year or two. We carried both St. Croix and TFO rods. (as well as Loomis & Reddington)

I can't speak very much for TFO, as they are a relatively new company.

As for St. Croix, they treat the customer better than any rod company that I'm familiar with. They stand behind their product and intend for you to buy St. Croix for the rest of your life.

I have two of their rods and it would be hard for me to buy someone else's because of the manner that I've seen them treat customers.

(they should pay me for this) :)